PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I'm trying to find a list of all the bantam heritage breeds, but haven't had much luck. I am specifically wondering if bantam Plymouth Rocks can be considered heritage, but would like to know other breeds too.

I have also been trying to find a list that contains all the heritage breeds, bantams and standards.

Does anybody here breed heritage chickens (both sizes)? I would love to hear about your experiences!

I don’t know that bantams of LF breeds can be considered heritage since they were developed for show from other breeds rather than existing for a long time for a specific purpose, but if any can be considered heritage it would be true bantams, Japanese, Belgian bantams, Dutch, Nankins, Sebrights, Silkies... etc.
Even if they’re not heritage, however, rare bantams are still worth preserving. I feel they should be considered heritage too because they still have a purpose.
I’d be interested in seeing what others have to say on this.

Very interesting, thank you!

I don’t know that bantams of LF breeds can be considered heritage since they were developed for show from other breeds rather than existing for a long time for a specific purpose, but if any can be considered heritage it would be true bantams, Japanese, Belgian bantams, Dutch, Nankins, Sebrights, Silkies... etc.
Even if they’re not heritage, however, rare bantams are still worth preserving. I feel they should be considered heritage too because they still have a purpose.
I’d be interested in seeing what others have to say on this.
That makes sense. Thank you! Do you breed any poultry?

I have some of the true bantams, Nankins, D'Uccles Booted Bantams, and Sebrights. I also have some standard size heritage breeds, Crevecoeurs, Delawares, Houdans and Buff Laced Polish. I keep them for show and breeding.

I also have Ameraucanas and a few Easter-eggers, not heritage, but pretty eggs!

I should have included the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antibiotics (SPPA). The website is http://www.sppa.club, and I know they have a Facebook presence, but I don't Facebook, myself.

I think Allen Smith also sponsors a Heritage Poultry Conservancy:
https://heritagepoultry.org

For photos and information on breeds, www.feathersite.com.

The Livestock Conservancy is the only organization I know of that has defined what heritage poultry is to them and produced an actual list of breeds by conservation priority.

Then there are the individual breed clubs and clubs that include several breeds, like the Polish Breeders Club, which includes all crested chickens, Polish, Crevecoeurs, Houdans, Sultans.

Okay, and then, there are the heritage ducks....!

I've been breeding standard Crevecoeurs since about 1998. Christine Heinrichs wrote an article in Backyard Poultry magazine about efforts to bring back the Crevecoeur.
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...evecoeur-chicken-conserving-a-historic-breed/
It pretty much sums up my experience, and if you look at Jeannette Beranger's Crevecoeur conservation page on Facebook, too, you can get a good idea of what's involved in preserving a breed.

Back
Top Bottom