Bantam Idea

barred-rocks-rock

Can't stick with a Title
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
In the spring, I am getting bantams from Ideal. I plan on getting three, (Motled Japanese, OEGB, and Mille Fleur)( Hens). I have a large dog house that is unoccupied, and i was thinking about making it a coop. I would cut a small door with hinges in the back to get eggs, and attach a run to the front. How big should the run be for three 22 ounce bantams?

Yes, Dog houses can be modified to become a coop!
Do a search in the coop section using words dog houses!

I suggest getting 3 of each breed so you wind up with the 3 girls you are looking for!

Joanne

i am also sure ideal sells only straight run (unsexed) bantams, it says so on their website.

large doghouse will be great for 3 bantams, i have several quads of bantams in revamped doghouses. i have mine in 10X10 runs because i had the material/space to make them that large, but i would say 4X4 is the minimum for the run. bigger the better.

Is a 'bantam idea' half the size of a regular idea? LOL

Doghouse is fine, but make sure you have EASY access for cleaning and grabbing birds and so forth... just an egg door and the front 'dog door' may both be kind of small.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

yes easy acess for cleaning is a good thing to think about! one of my doghouse coops just has the front door (quiet large, i put a hinged door on it) i can just barely squeeze myself in there to clean it out! on my other doghouse coop i put a hinged roof for easy cleaning! it is so much better.

Last edited:
Yes they do sell straight run. I will get three or four of each breed so I have a better chance of hens.

oegb's can be kinda hyperactive so i'd suggest a rather large run, i'd go 6x6 but they'd be alright in a smaller one for just three, don't let the size fool you, in my opinion bantams need just as much space as a standard. what kind of a mille fleur? perhaps i'm mistaken but i thought that was a variety and not a breed

Bantams need half the size as standards. I've always done 2 foot each in coop, 5 in run. I used a dog house as a coop and some issues I had was the door I had didn't let me grab them if they ran to the corner. Also, wil lyou install a door for their entrance/exit ("pop door") It will stop drafts and predators at night. Make sure you can get into the run also. How would youput the roost in?

Quote:
mille fleur is a color. A BEAUTIFUL color!

The best example of that color would be in the d'Uccle breed. Look them up. They're gorgeous birds, and fairly friendly.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom