Bantam mixed with full sized

You don't mention the breeds of either.
Generally yes it's a good mix. Most bantams haven't been messed about with as much as the more productive egg and meat breeds. Some of that more feral nature it seems from my experience gets passed through to their offspring. Of course, you not longer have a heritage breed as such but you may end up with a cross with the better quaities of both.
If your bantams are prone to going up trees then the cross breeds are likely to follow suit.

Usually. Especially if the bantam is the boy. Now, a little bantam under a giant rooster... that could be an issue.

The chick will likely be between bantam and small standard size, but my first gens tend to have smaller legs and larger wings and bodies

You don't mention the breeds of either.
Generally yes it's a good mix. Most bantams haven't been messed about with as much as the more productive egg and meat breeds. Some of that more feral nature it seems from my experience gets passed through to their offspring. Of course, you not longer have a heritage breed as such but you may end up with a cross with the better quaities of both.
If your bantams are prone to going up trees then the cross breeds are likely to follow suit.
I didn't think to mention breeds. I don't know what he is and the rooster is the bantam. If anyone knows what breed he is PLEASE let me know! My neighbor brought me 3 with no information about them.

I have mixed breeds and while I definitely see why you should be careful mixing breeds, they get along pretty well. I have the following:black australorp, dark and light brahma, lavender Orpington, speckled Sussex, Rhode island reds, black laced Wyandotte, olive egger/cuckoo maran (they look the same minus a mohawk) and I believe she is a blue copper Maran (black laced with blue). So essentially, I could have a multitude of mixed breeds lol

I have had 2 salmon favorelles, LOVED the breed but both died before/at egg laying age. Idk if that's a breed issue but nothing turned up on Google. They also were low in the pecking order

Attachments

• 20220831_183640.jpg
    20220831_183640.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom