Bantam mottled cochin x bantam mille fleur d'uccle

cassbickford

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Hi guys,
I am looking for ideas on how this cross would turn out. Last spring I bred a bantam mottled cochin rooster to a bantam mille fleur d'uccle hen. The babies were absolutely adorable. Here is a picture of one of the roosters and one of the hens out of the cross. The hen in this pic is mostly black, but the other hens from this cross all have much more mottling. I now would like to breed back the hens to the rooster and I am wondering what I can expect from mottled cochin/mille fleur d'uccle x mottled cochin/mille fleur d'uccle. Thank you in advance.

Just to bump this post- I'm curious about this also! I have a bantam mille fleur roo and a bantam mottled cochin hen, and I'm hoping to have the hen hatch some chicks someday. I'd love to see what a Gen 3 cross would look like!

Hi guys,
I am looking for ideas on how this cross would turn out. Last spring I bred a bantam mottled cochin rooster to a bantam mille fleur d'uccle hen. The babies were absolutely adorable. Here is a picture of one of the roosters and one of the hens out of the cross. The hen in this pic is mostly black, but the other hens from this cross all have much more mottling. I now would like to breed back the hens to the rooster and I am wondering what I can expect from mottled cochin/mille fleur d'uccle x mottled cochin/mille fleur d'uccle. Thank you in advance.

Plumage color

This would be a dihybrid cross ( hybrid columbian and hybrid E locus) with all the offspring being mottled and gold (at the silver locus). The greatest percentage of the offspring will be similar to the parents or black and mottled If you hatch 20 or so chicks you may get a mille fleur , a mottled wheaten, and an incomplete mille fleur. The more chicks you hatch increases the odds of getting the last three phenotypes(color patterns).

I am assuming the mottled parent did not carry the columbian gene.

most will be muffed with variable expression and some not muffed

almost all will have various levels of foot feathering. The probabilities of getting non-feathered feet are high. Foot feathering is complicated so that is my best guess.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response! I have eggs in the incubator that are going on lock down tomorrow. I should have pips Tuesday or Wednesday. I also have 45 more eggs that I am going to set in a second bator. I am extremely excited to see what is hatched. I figured that most would look like the parents with a small percentage of mille fleur. I didn't think of a mottled wheaten which would be nice.

Thank you for the response! I have eggs in the incubator that are going on lock down tomorrow. I should have pips Tuesday or Wednesday. I also have 45 more eggs that I am going to set in a second bator. I am extremely excited to see what is hatched. I figured that most would look like the parents with a small percentage of mille fleur. I didn't think of a mottled wheaten which would be nice.

How did the chicks turn out? Any pictures?

Hi guys,

Hey, I know it's 6 years later, but how did your Mottled Cochin/Mille Fleur D'Uccle cross breeding program go? I left my 3 Bantam Mottled Cochin hens with my Mille Fleur D'Uccle flock and have some cross breeds; just wondering how yours are doing 6 years into your experiment. Here are 2 of my young cockerels; about 7 months old, Mille Fleur D'Uccle rooster over Bantam Mottled Cochin hen.
PXL_20220802_144605459.MP.jpg
PXL_20220802_144911449.MP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom