Bantam pullet might have Mareks.She needs your hopes and prayers.

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
My bantam wyandotte pullet that was hatched in late April is walking funny today. She was fine over an hour ago but now she is unstable walking and walking straight legged. She's eating and drinking fine. I felt her over and she has no wounds or anything. She seems to lay down alot and close her eyes. Anyone got an advice?

Last edited:
Anyone? She is still eating a drinking. I have her in the house tonight in the living room by my Coal my little OEGB bantam. She's on asprin water and thats it.

Can you possibly give us a little more information so we can sort of flesh out what's going on with her?

For example, how is her weight? Does she feel more light to you, or nicely fleshed out around her keel? Is her comb growing and reddening now? What diet has she been eating, and did you change it at all this last week or two? IS she free ranged or coop/run kept? If she's free ranged, does she have grit? Did you check her crop? Are her droppings normal?

Check her carefully for parasites - lice or mites. Check every inch, especially in warm/moist spots like the vent, under the wings, back of the neck, etc.

Is there any possibility she got into any of the following in the last three weeks: puddles of mud; algae water; stagnant ponds; compost; maggots or a good number of earthworms/beetles; mildew or mold; wet or soured feed or grain, even if just dropped in bedding; mushrooms; fallen fruits/veggies/berries; a good deal of corn?

Has it been quite not there? How exactly is she walking funny: squatting, stilt-legged, drunk, weak, limpy, etc?

Listen to her breathing with your ear against her throat, near her head, and then near her back/ribs. Do you hear any rattles or even hear her breathe really at all? Is there any evidence of drainage from her eyes/nose? OPen her beak: any white patches/nodules? Or is her throat pink, clean, with the regular chicken-breath - not sour?

I look forward to your reply and hope we can help.

Maybe do a search on here about those symptoms? There are diseases that cause chickens to stagger or have progressive paralysis of legs.
Best wishes
hugs.gif

Quote:
She feels normal on the weight. He comb is begining to redden but not growing yet. She has been on Flock raiser food. She gets to free range and has plenty of grit if she needs. Her crop is normal and so are her droppings.
Checked for mites/lice but have found nothing.
She hasn't been into any of them.
She seems to be walking stilt legged,drunk an weak.
I hear nothing except breathing.
No drainage from either her eyes or nose.
Nothing different in her throat. Smells like good ol chicken breath.

Update: She is eating and drinking on her own. She seems alert and regular except for her walking problems. It seems like the problem is with her right leg. We are thinking maybe either a fracture or pulled muscle in her leg. If she doesn't show improvement by Saturday we are going to take her to the vet and see how much the treatment will cost. Hopefull not to much or else we will have her put down which is a very hard thing for me to do and I can't even think about it without crying.

oh Hon! i just got your pm! your pretty little girl!

well, you've weeded out that she hasn't gotten into any fermented fruits. what about the berries in front of the coop?

not too much aspirin, don't thin her blood. keep her comfy, as you well know. (i know you already know all this, AC!)

threehorses has a lot of knowledge when it comes to the medical side. maybe something will just pop and make sense.

if she is laying down a lot, that concerns me especially. i am praying for you and your little pullet. i am wondering, and i don't want to speak it, but anything from the wild birds possibly? the bad

both of my phone numbers are on my website. call me tomorrow if you need me!!!
hugs.gif

Yeah she's the little splash wyandotte bantam.The berries have been gone for about a month now. Nothing remains. As for the asprin I just dissolved a baby asprin in 1 gallon of water. I'm hoping she just fell off the roost and injured her leg and it's not some disease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom