Bantam Rooster is ill

douglas

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
My husband and I have only had chickens for a year now.

Recently, I noticed that Stuster, my little banty rooster has not been himself but this morning, I've come to the conclusion that he is ill.

We've had him for a year now - he was given to us as a gift to start our flock. Last Spring, we ordered 30 Plymouth Barred Rock chicks to add to our small flock of two Red sex link hens and the banty rooster. The Barred Rock Rooster became huge and started beating up Stuster the bantam so I separated Stuster and put him in isolation (about 3 weeks ago).

He seemed to perk up while in protective custody until about a week ago, when I saw that he was sleeping a lot during the day and that his comb was turning slightly purplish. He's getting dirty too (not dust-bathing). This morning, I noticed how pale his comb and wattle have become and heard a sort of wheezing sound when he opened his mouth. He is still eating well, but seems extra sleepy.

Also, researching poultry diseases, I noticed that he has had scaly leg mites for a long time (I thought that this was his normal leg appearance since he has feathered feet). Could this be related?

I'm looking for advice on what to do to help him! He is my only "pet" chicken who doesn't work for a living. I love him and would hate to lose him. Any advice from you more experienced flock leaders?

Back
Top Bottom