Bantam rooster is unable to walk or stand.

May 20, 2020
My bantam rooster (9 months old) suddenly can no longer walk or stand. He had a limp for a while but it was not affecting him too much and it did not seem to be caused by a broken bone. suddenly one morning he can no longer stand or use either leg properly (he cant even turn around while sitting without flailing his wings).
I dont think its mareks disease because the rest of my flock are absolutely fine. We have him inside now but dont know what to do aside from feeding and giving him enriched water with a chicken sized dose of asprin.

My bantam rooster (9 months old) suddenly can no longer walk or stand. He had a limp for a while but it was not affecting him too much and it did not seem to be caused by a broken bone. suddenly one morning he can no longer stand or use either leg properly (he cant even turn around while sitting without flailing his wings).
I dont think its mareks disease because the rest of my flock are absolutely fine. We have him inside now but dont know what to do aside from feeding and giving him enriched water with a chicken sized dose of asprin.
I had 2 birds in my flock that developed neurological symptoms on one side, a week apart. Could barely stand. A local breeder said to try .5mg. Emicina, injectable, in the the breast at a sharp angle being sure to avoid the bone, basically subcutaneous. I did that for 4 days and they both recovered. Full recovery took about a week. I almost put the worst one down! I also gave them both Neurovitaminas (Arsal) and Himpyrin (Himalaya) at the same time. These are available in costa rica, not sure for USA...
My vet said that chemical overspray from the neighbor's coffee field was the likely culprit.

I had 2 birds in my flock that developed neurological symptoms on one side, a week apart. Could barely stand. A local breeder said to try .5mg. Emicina, injectable, in the the breast at a sharp angle being sure to avoid the bone, basically subcutaneous. I did that for 4 days and they both recovered. Full recovery took about a week. I almost put the worst one down! I also gave them both Neurovitaminas (Arsal) and Himpyrin (Himalaya) at the same time. These are available in costa rica, not sure for USA...
My vet said that chemical overspray from the neighbor's coffee field was the likely culprit.
Not sure if we can get those vitamins in NZ but i can certainly take him to a vet, thank you for the reply

Any chance he ate moldy feed or got into something toxic or rotten?

Marek's is something I would consider if he's suddenly unable to walk. Not all birds within a flock will present with symptoms.
Seeking vet care is best if that's an option for you.

Offer him supportive care, making sure he's hydrated and eating. B-Complex vitamins can be give as well, I would give 1/4 tablet a day. Check him for lice/mites just to make sure those aren't taking over since he's not well.

Unfortunately Mareks could be possible. At his age, it can be common, and his limping that has progressed to not being able to stand or walk can be a common symptom. I would try giving crushed vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily, and get that at your drugstore or grocery. There are chicken sling chairs that can be made to get him upright and fed, while keeping him cleaner. Hopefully, it is not Mareks, but time will tell. Give supportive treatment, making sure that he can reach food and water. Let us know how he gets along. This link has 4 pages of chicken sling designs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Any chance he ate moldy feed or got into something toxic or rotten?

Marek's is something I would consider if he's suddenly unable to walk. Not all birds within a flock will present with symptoms.
Seeking vet care is best if that's an option for you.

Offer him supportive care, making sure he's hydrated and eating. B-Complex vitamins can be give as well, I would give 1/4 tablet a day. Check him for lice/mites just to make sure those aren't taking over since he's not well.
Thanks for the reply. Ive currently got him in his a box in my room. Im giving him the vitamins dissolved in water and good food. He eats and drinks normally and well its just his legs are not co-operating with him and it is stressing him out, im taking him to the vet in an hour to see if there is anything to be done. and while i did find 3 lice on him i would not think that counts as excessive. If it helps with describing his problem both his legs are sticking out in front of him when he sits. like his head is between his feet so i have to hold him up to feed him.

Thanks for the reply. Ive currently got him in his a box in my room. Im giving him the vitamins dissolved in water and good food. He eats and drinks normally and well its just his legs are not co-operating with him and it is stressing him out, im taking him to the vet in an hour to see if there is anything to be done. and while i did find 3 lice on him i would not think that counts as excessive. If it helps with describing his problem both his legs are sticking out in front of him when he sits. like his head is between his feet so i have to hold him up to feed him.
Poor guy!
Legs sticking out in front of him with his head down, does sound like it's Marek's disease. https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/content/md-004ajpg

Let us know what you find out from the vet.

Back
Top Bottom