bantam roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dixiechick, Jul 5, 2010.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Question to bantam owners: What do you use for your bantam roosts? Pictures would be great!

I am thinking 2x2's but worry about Bumble Foot....does anyone use dowels? I even thought of tree limbs? Just needing ideas/suggestions..

Thanks!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My Game hen use 2x4's with my big girls and the 13 week old bantams are using them too in the little girls coop. You can use branches too.

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I have 5 bantams that live with other bigger birds (EE's at the moment) They have all been using the 2 x 4 roosts and so far, maybe 6 weeks now since their move into the big girl coop, all is well. I'm no expert, but it seems to be working...

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My bantams rooster with my standard chickens. The rooster is at least 8 ft. high and probably 5 or 6 ft. long. [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

My bantams rooster with my standard chickens. The rooster is at least 8 ft. high and probably 5 or 6 ft. long. [​IMG]

DANG!!!! that is one big rooster!!​

6. dixiechick

Quote:DANG!!!! that is one big rooster!!

^ [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Heehee too funny!! Poor hens!!! [​IMG] how big is the coop for that big boy? [​IMG]

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use natural tree branches, but I pick ones with smooth bark that are two or even three inches wide. Then I sand down any rough spots. I spray the branch with Adams Flea and Tick spray, then let it dry before use. Periodically, when the chickens are elsewhere, I'll spray the roost with Adams again, paying special attention to the bottom of the branch. So far, I haven't had trouble with mites and I'd like to keep it that way.

You could try putting up several different kinds and widths of roosts to see which your chickens prefer.

The only problem with using a wide roost with bantams is that their poop lands on the roost sometimes instead of falling down to the droppings board/pit.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:DANG!!!! that is one big rooster!!

Woops! My bad! lol [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dixiechick

Quote:...which can lead to Bumblefoot, which is a pain in the ....well,....foot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by