Bantam sneezing and gaping ITS getting worse

mrs.67

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
I am not sure what to do.. I had a earlier question about antibiotics but its getting worse.
I got a wonderful BBR Bantam and he started sneezing a few days ago. Now he is sneezing alot more and gaping l, like he's trying to breathe with his mouth open. The others are no longer sneezing but he is now he is sneezing then he will stretch his neck with his mouth open. Any ideas and what I can do. He is so pretty and has a great personality it would be so sad not to be able to help him.

2 drops of vetrx down the throat, a drop under each wing,, and give injectable "pen-aqueouss" 1/2 cc once a day for 3 days,,,,if that dont make him better, he has serious problems.

thats for a full size roo,, cut that in half for smaller birds.

Mrs67, mine is too. I just noticed as I was "tucking them in bed" tonight.

I'm in NC and it's been really wet. The coop has a mildew smell. I'm airing it out and running the fan.

I noticed a few were sneezing today as they were free ranging. They free range all day, but are in the coop from 8pm to 8am.

It's just one bird that's gasping. I held her close and don't hear any wheezing. No snot, bubbly eyes, etc.

I don't like this at all. Thursday I will clean the coop completely. I do believe it's mold spores that are causing this.

The other post suggests Tylan or Aureomycin antibiotic. I'll go to Tractor Supply and get one of them.

1much, I will look for the Vetrex also.

My pen is ok (after Ike it hasn't rained at all) and they stayed inside the garage.

Where do you give the shot at?? That is going to be scary but I am going to do it.

I called the vet yesterday morning but the lady at the front office wouldn't ask the doctor she just said sulmet. Thats not working.. now I worry about over medicating..

Can chickens get allergies?? I did notice this started when we started getting cooler weather ( I live by Houston). I am so worried.
Let me know how its going with you suebee.
Thanks for the fast response chicken obsessed.

i dont know about chicken allergies,, sorry,,,,, but the shot you give in the breast meat,, below and to the other side of the crop,,you do NOT want to hit the crop,, just look fer muscle
wink.png
,,and its only antibiotics,, you could overdose them by giving to much in a shot,, but like u,, they could tay onit for weeks if needed. and it doesnt hurt them a bad as i thought it would,,my first time,,, i practiced on my blind roo,,, made my wife talk so he wouldnt know it was me doing it lol,,, and after i got NO reaction from him, i did it to my baby,,i mean BIG boy. i do want to stress the needles bend easy heh,,and its easier if you spread their feathers then give the shot,,, if not you may hit a feather and they wont get the meds,, or you wont be able push out the meds.

These things are hard to diagnose over the computer but 2 things come to mind with what you are saying.

1. Gapeworm - treated with ivermecten.
2. Something repiratory - I would treat with Tylan injectable.

Get a flashlight and see if you can hold the mouth open and look down the throat. Sometimes you can actually see the gapeworms. Is the bird showing any other symptoms?
What does the poop look like?

I went to tractor supply and they did not have any of the
pen-aqueouss" 1/2 cc due to loss of power they had no meds that needed refridgeration.
I went to our feed store and got the rx and the Tylan 50 mg. How much should I give ? I saw where you said 1/4 for smaller birds. Should I do the same for the Tylan?

His droppings look fairly normal. I do not think he is eating alot withthe others , so I bring him in for scrambled egg and he eats that , then drinks, then poops on my kitchen floor.

It was so funny my dh was eating supper and the bird was on the floor beside him and when he pooped my dh and I said at the same time PERFECT. So that looked fine.
I also looked down his throat and saw nothing.
Wish Me Luck!!

Could also be a fungal infection of some kind in the respiratory tract. At the first sign of sneezing/wheezing I do a light fog with Oxine (chlorine dioxide) in the coop at bedtime. You may wish to do a search on the threads on this, or check out the Shagbark Bantams website for more info on Oxine.

Good luck!

Well I hope it works. So far my fellow have received 2 shots of tylan at 1/4 cc.

I used the vetrx so hopefully that will help. I am not sure how many days I need to give it to him.

Do you still think only 3? The vet said 2 shots a day.
My son gave him his first shot and he did fine but when I gave mine he did not like it. I felt awful, but I knew I had to do it.

He eats some scrambled egg when I bring him in, and his bowel movement looks normal but I noticed he looks pale on his face, almost gray looking.
I hear like a whistle sound sometimes when he's breathing.

I think I am doing all I can, if any one has any ideas let me know. I also looked in his throat and saw nothing.

have you taken a good look at his nostrils?
could they be clogged?

frankly, I would give 2 shots a day for 5 days..(for severe respiratory illness)
others say 1 shot a day for 3 days.
check those nostrils.

Shagbarks has good information about Oxine for the poster suspecting mold spores.

shagbarkbantams.com

go to health issues..

Back
Top Bottom