bantam vs. large foul silkies and mypetchickens silkies??

Here's one of the babies (black) at 3 days old..
9198_img_2521.jpg

Heres when they were 6-8 weeks old...
9198_img_2810.jpg

9198_img_2806.jpg

Sorry, the pics are not the best. You can order as little as 3 (they use a heat pack for warmth) but you will pay alot extra for a small order and they do sex them. You will pay alot more for girls too.
Hope this helps a little.. The black one was alot smaller developing than the white one. I don't know if it was sick, but ate, drank, acted fine. Its feathers on its neck were not full either. The rest I have ordered from them were very healthy and looked good, just NOT breeder quality.

Mypetchicken does not hatch any birds themselves. They get them from a hatchery, like Mcmurray or Ideal, and then ship them to you. The red silkies they offer come from Ideal, Meyers, or Rochester.

Last edited:
Quote:
I dont think they look that bad. i think they are still cute and as long as they act like a silkie i will be satisfied and as long as i get all girls i will be satisfied.
smile.png

Unless they DNA test the birds, there is no safe way to vent sex any newly hatched bantam chick. They would have to sex them by wing feathering or plumage; both methods are rather limited with silkies.

All silkies in North America are bantams. While they are on the large end of the scale for bantam chickens, they are not the largest bantam breed.

Do not expect anything but pet quality from any hatchery. If you get a bird of lesser quality you won't be disappointed, and if you get a bird of good quality you'll be extra happy.

Periodically people express an interest in breeding larger or smaller silkies, but I haven't heard of anyone working seriously or successfully on either. Personally I would love to see both: a basketball-sized (or larger) bundle of fluff and a softball-sized one.

Quote:
I agree, short of DNA sexing them, there is not way to be certain when sexing a non-sexlink day old bantam. Sexing by wing feathering requires a slow feathering female be bred to a fast feathering male or vice versa.

Quote:
I will try to find some pics... My Siberian Husky killed a few of them at 6 weeks from My Pet Chicken. Very heartbreaking. I have hatched my own since. They were very sweet. Silkies are usually sweet. I have yet to come across a nasty one. I have 3 kids and all of mine were hand tamed early on. The kids can still walk out to the coop and they will climb up in their laps. I will find some pics..

I have a pic of a Bantam White Silkies from MyPetChicken. She is only about a week or 2 old in this pic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom