Bantam with walking problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grnthmb, Jun 9, 2009.

1. grnthmb

grnthmb In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    I bought three bantams at the feed store. dont know the breed but one has very short legs making me think he is a japanese. He has trouble walking and standing. Otherwise he seems healthy. Any suggestions of what might be wrong?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Hi!

Wouldn't want to venture a guess as to the etiology, but the result of whatever is causing this is probably spraddle leg.

Mechanical intervention is most often used. This can include using bandaids/placing chick in cup so the wt. is off its legs/using small section of soft foam to form a prothesis (fit around both legs above the ankles so that legs are held in place.

You might consider giving the little guy three drops of polyvisol enfamil vitamins (without iron) a day for a week and taper off.

Don't know how severe you chooks condition but here is a link to band aid treatment:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Many chicks with this problem make out ok if the effort is made to correct it early on.

Good luck!

3. grnthmb

grnthmb In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    I dont think it is sprattle leg. He can walk pretty good at a very slow pace. But when he tries to go any faster he will fall and use his wings trying to stay up. He flops a lot before getting on his feet again. MIKE

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Could be an injury or some other defect. If you have an area where you can keep it relatively inactive (not running/flying - actually it's just the landing that is the problem) and try the vitamins, it might well improve.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: