Bantam X Large fowl

Ian0823

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
I crossed my bantam game hen with neighbour's lf necked neck mix rooster. But I got a cockerel which is not even the half size of that rooster, looks like game bantam rooster. The only thing he got from his father is feather colour he looks exactly the same .
His offspring will be smaller or bigger than bantam size if he crossed with a bantam hen
Any advice or information will greatly help

Are you certain that another rooster did not mate your hen ? Mated to a bantam hen it is unlikely that any young will mature larger than him.

Are you asking if your little cockerel will have bantam sized offspring if crossed back to bantams? Because the answer to that is most likely yes. Crossing the large fowl rooster with bantam hens will also likely continue producing bantam offspring.
I have a bantam rooster that when crossed with large fowl hens has produced babies that were no bigger than the bantam parent.

Are you certain that another rooster did not mate your hen ? Mated to a bantam hen it is unlikely that any young will mature larger than him.
At that time there was no bantam rooster available in neighbourhood ( the lf rooster was the only option )

Are you asking if your little cockerel will have bantam sized offspring if crossed back to bantams? Because the answer to that is most likely yes. Crossing the large fowl rooster with bantam hens will also likely continue producing bantam offspring.
I have a bantam rooster that when crossed with large fowl hens has produced babies that were no bigger than the bantam parent.
I have heard that large rooster x bantam hen will have pullets bigger than hen and cockerel smaller than lf rooster
Isnt this true ?

I have heard that large rooster x bantam hen will have pullets bigger than hen and cockerel smaller than lf rooster
Isnt this true ?

Usually the babies would grow up to be in between the sizes of the parents, but it doesn't always happen that way.

There seem to be several different genes that control size in chickens, so crossing one bantam to one large fowl might give different results than crossing a different breed of bantam to a different large fowl (or even a different bantam to the same large bird).

lf necked neck mix rooster.

If the rooster is a naked neck mix, do you know what was mixed? Maybe he already was part bantam, and passed on the genes for being small.

They have alw
Usually the babies would grow up to be in between the sizes of the parents, but it doesn't always happen that way.

There seem to be several different genes that control size in chickens, so crossing one bantam to one large fowl might give different results than crossing a different breed of bantam to a different large fowl (or even a different bantam to the same large bird).

If the rooster is a naked neck mix, do you know what was mixed? Maybe he already was part bantam, and passed on the genes for being small.
They have always raised lf chickens
But all chickens had same feather colouring till now
Some had bare neck some hadnt thats why I said naked neck mix
Even all hens were huge about thrice of my banty hen

Last edited:
They have always raised lf chickens
But all chickens had same feather colouring till now
Some had bare neck some hadnt thats why I said naked neck mix
Even all hens were huge about thrice of my banty hen

Then I agree that we would not expect the rooster to have bantam genes.

So yes, I would expect the chicks to grow up in-between the parents for size, but apparently yours isn't. :idunno

Since your cockerel is small, then crossing him to a bantam hen will probably produce offspring that are small too.

Then I agree that we would not expect the rooster to have bantam genes.

So yes, I would expect the chicks to grow up in-between the parents for size, but apparently yours isn't. :idunno

Since your cockerel is small, then crossing him to a bantam hen will probably produce offspring that are small too.
Sorry I said he is too small
Actually he isnt that small
He is just 5 months old now and already stood 50% taller than bantam roosters here
I think i should wait one or two months
What do you think when will he grow into full size
And thanks for your replies

So yes, I would expect the chicks to grow up in-between the parents for size,
I am actually happy that his offspring wont be smaller than his mother
His offsprings ( actuallly pullets ) will be little less broody and be their eggs will be bit bigger
All my hens are super broody normally hatches 3-4 batches per year
And just lays 10 or 12 and go broody ( so no eggs to eat )

Back
Top Bottom