Bantams Afraid of Me

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hi everyone. I adopted a bunch of Bantams of various ages. They are all extremely scared of me. I don't think they have ever been handled before. I'm wondering how long before they learn to trust me? One of them screams and screams every time I pick her up. When I walk up to them, they run and hide in the coop. I'm not sure if I should be handling them to make them know who I am and trust me, or if doing that will only make it worse. What's the proper way to help them adjust to me and start to like me?

You can try feeding them treats by tossing it a short distance from you. When they are more comfortable with you start trying to get them to eat out of your hand. When they start being comfortable with eating out of your hand, you can try to per them whenever they do it. You just want them to focud pn the treats, and not your other hand. Eventually, they might allow you to pet them, so then you can start trying to pick them up. Hand feed them while they are being held, and if they refuse the food, speak to them softly and stroke their wattles slowly. Due this for atleast 5 minutes a day, but not any more than 15 minutes a day, as they can get stressed out. This does not always work, but I wish you good luck with your girls. My girls are much more friendly due to it, but some of them dont let me pet them yet. Good luck!

If you have the room, you can also get a stool and sit in their run area an hour or two a day. I had two hens that were a bit skittish, and still don’t want to be approached, but will now jump on my legs and take a nap, and I pick them up once a week off the roost at dark while talking to them so they know it’s me, just in case I do need to treat them for some illness in the future. They are much more docile in the dark.

They will not jump directly into my lap, but I extend my legs out and they will hop on my ankles and occasionally climb up to my knee to perch. This took about 2 weeks of sitting out there. Those two used to run the othet direction when I entered the run.

First you need to realize that chickens are not cuddly puppies and kittens. While some chickens do like being held they are the exception not the rule and only become that way through a lot of gentle patience. Chickens are prey and you are a towering giant to them. Think of it this way, one day you wake up in a completely different place and then there is this towering giant who wants to hold and cuddle you. This giant wants to be your friend, but you don't know that because you're absolutely terrified that it just wants to turn you into the sunday roast and then grind your bones for bread after. The giant keeps forcing you into it's arms and your screaming for someone to help you before the giant breaks your neck or tries to take a bite out of you. To top it off neither of you speak the same language and every move the giant makes seems aggressive because the giant is so large, fast and loud compared to you. That's what's going through your chicken's heads right now. You are the giant to them and they are worried about becoming dinner. However, there are things you can do to make yourself seem less like a scary towering blood thirsty giant. As other have mentioned sitting with them more at their level so they can get to know you on their terms helps quite a bit. Other things you can do: avoid quick loud movements around them, talking gently, giving them time to associate you with food (chickens are very food motivated), not hovering over them and not forcing them down to be held. Forming a bond with your chickens is like any other relationship the key is to practice patience, respect how they are feeling, realize that they are all individuals with their own personalities and not force things.

Bantams for the most part are quite independent by nature which gives them the impression of being stand offish (with the obvious exception of Silkies). I have always taken a bird by bird / flock by flock approach with the multitudes of Bantams that I have had going back 55 years.

First you need to realize that chickens are not cuddly puppies and kittens. While some chickens do like being held they are the exception not the rule and only become that way through a lot of gentle patience. Chickens are prey and you are a towering giant to them. Think of it this way, one day you wake up in a completely different place and then there is this towering giant who wants to hold and cuddle you. This giant wants to be your friend, but you don't know that because you're absolutely terrified that it just wants to turn you into the sunday roast and then grind your bones for bread after. The giant keeps forcing you into it's arms and your screaming for someone to help you before the giant breaks your neck or tries to take a bite out of you. To top it off neither of you speak the same language and every move the giant makes seems aggressive because the giant is so large, fast and loud compared to you. That's what's going through your chicken's heads right now. You are the giant to them and they are worried about becoming dinner. However, there are things you can do to make yourself seem less like a scary towering blood thirsty giant. As other have mentioned sitting with them more at their level so they can get to know you on their terms helps quite a bit. Other things you can do: avoid quick loud movements around them, talking gently, giving them time to associate you with food (chickens are very food motivated), not hovering over them and not forcing them down to be held. Forming a bond with your chickens is like any other relationship the key is to practice patience, respect how they are feeling, realize that they are all individuals with their own personalities and not force things.
Excellent synopsis. I had an OEGB BBR/Crele rooster nail me on the right side of the head the other evening when I leaned in a bit too close to him and one of his gals. He packed a wallop too.

Back
Top Bottom