Bantams in the city backyard

Martaals

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
The Netherlands
Hello!
I am Marta, and I have already been checking out backyardchickens a bit in the last weeks, trying to learn very fast how to take care of chickens. And now the chickens are finally here I decided to join!
I am new to keeping chickens and just set up a run in the backyard where these 3 lovely ladies moved in on Saturday.

20200120_114016.jpg

From the left are Aart and Kali, both cochin bantam, and Greta on the right is a brahma bantam. They are 14 weeks old and seem to be settling nicely.

We are living in the city, have 2 cats Octi and Escher, and are make a living as performing artists (contemporary dance and circus). But enough about us, have a closer look at our chickens!

IMG-20200119-WA0029.jpg

Drinking water together

Kali is by the way a black hindu goddess who always wears a necklace of white skulls and often is shown standing on top of a victim of her destructive powers
IMG-20200119-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200119-WA0010.jpg

Can you see the resemblance to our Kali? So far she also seems to be the boss in the coop, and was quickly claiming the food tray from the very beginning. Now she shares with her sisters.

IMG-20200119-WA0008.jpg

Aart is being held. They are not super relaxed about us yet but I'm sure they will appreciate our cuddles eventually.

The first night they needed help to find the roost, but yesterday and today they found their way on their own, and now also go there for a nap sometimes.

VideoCapture_20200120-234616.jpg

Greta is tucking herself in.

VideoCapture_20200120-235036.jpg

They don't seem very intimidated by Escher, one of our cats, and he is of course super curious. So before we let them free range we will have to make sure the cats won't bother them.

We are having a lot of fun so far! Looking forward to see how it goes, hopefully we will all be good friends in no time. It is of course a bit of learning by doing, but that's why it's nice to have access to a community like this website. Looking forwards to this little chicken adventure!

One question, what are their colours officially? I figured from Google that Aart could be "lemon blue", and then I guess Kali is black (with some white, does that have a special name?) and Greta is brown. Is the pattern called anything? And can I expect them to change a lot, or will the colours most likely stay like this? Just curious!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Awww....your babies are just adorable!!!! :love SO pretty!! Thanks for sharing, we do enjoy connecting with you via your photos. :)

I don't know much about colors and if others that stop by here to welcome you don't know, you can always post Here in our General Breed Discussion forums and those folks will be able to help you out.

So glad you decided to join our community, make yourself at home here!! :)

From the left are Aart and Kali, both cochin bantam, and Greta on the right is a brahma bantam.
You named your chicken after me?!!? :gig

Welcome to BYC! @Martaals
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579562927512.png

Back
Top Bottom