Bantams

Bluerosesd

Chirping
Feb 20, 2018
South eastern Ky
I am not getting my chicks till late March so I went to Tractor Supply to get a chick fix lol. They had Cornish rocks Isa browns and Barred rocks. They also had some just named Bantams. I thought there were different breeds of Bantams. Am I right? and are the Bantams what southerners call Bannies? Small like chickens? Sorry if I seem uneducated but I kinda am when it comes to chickens lol Thanks for the info in advance!

Yes you are right. The bin was assorted bantams of multiple breeds. Generally at my TSC I see Sebrights, Old English Games, d'Uccles, and Cochins the most.

Yes, some people call them bantys, and some think bantam is a breed rather than a classification.

Thank you for the help! I like my chickens big and fat! They remind me of little old ladies in dresses after my grandma. My favorite breed so far is the Barred rocks.

Lol I am just the opposite. I love my tiny bantams. I only have 4 "large fowl" and 30 bantams!
Are bantams super chill? I got 4 this weekend and they are always asleep when i look at them and they have been eating and drinking but not as much as i expect... Their peeps are so tiny too. I assume its just because they areso small?

Day old chicks sleep and rest quite a bit.I have had several batch of chicks,at least five,and I can say day old chicks rest a lot.Boost the immune system by buying electrolytes
As far as chill,their about as chill as any other breed of chicken depends on the bird.
Are bantams super chill? I got 4 this weekend and they are always asleep when i look at them and they have been eating and drinking but not as much as i expect... Their peeps are so tiny too. I assume its just because they areso small?

I just got 6 bantams from Tractor Supply... I normally never buy any chicks from Tractor Supply but I've been wanting them and could not help myself. Does anyone know what age they can go outside? We live in San Diego so it does not get too cold but I heard they aren't too cold hardy. They are 4 weeks old and still tiny as ever!

Here are mine sunning themselves in the nice low-50s weather we had for once (it wasn't cloudy or windy so it felt pretty toasty). They are 3 1/2 weeks old and have been outside (with a heating pad) for 2 1/2 weeks. I have not had any issues with cold hardiness with my bantams. ETA the two largest are Brabanters and the rest are OEGB and Sebrights.
IMG_20180325_132015272.jpg

Back
Top Bottom