Bantams

BrandonsBirbs

Thanks HopKat for my PFM ♥
Feb 22, 2022
Berkshire, England
Occasionally, I hatch eggs for other people for little or no cost (so long as they provide the feed). A lovely lady has asked me if I could try to hatch 24 bantam eggs for her and I have a few questions about these.

She only wants approximately 12 chicks for herself, based on shipped eggs hatching rates (my average is 75%-80% for well-packed eggs), we will have maybe 18 chicks so there may be a few extra that I could keep.. prompting more questions! (I know very little about chickens sorry!) I will have free reign to pick my chicks first as she is not bothered at all, however I will not just pick all the girls.

I wouldn't be looking for anything in particular with my babies, just would like to know a bit more about each variety and what they could do for me, I know some varieties differ as bantams in comparison to their usual-sized counterparts.

The varieties of bantams can be: Polish, Maran, Pekin, Frizzle, Sablepoot, Silkie, Wyandotte & Cross breed.
  1. How small are the eggs in comparison to a coturnix quail egg? My incubator can fit either 64 quail eggs or 16 supermarket-sized chicken eggs.
  2. I would most likely have to cull any males as they'd be far to loud for this area, but what are females like in terms of noise?
  3. When will the boys begin making a lot of noise? I have see nocrow collars but they seem a bit...
  4. Are size requirements the same as regular chickens, any special notes like certain roost heights or something?
  5. Our ground is bricks, can I build up their run on that with soil and woodchip? Or are they okay to run around on the bricks?
  6. I assume all the varieties get on with each other, any special things to note about them?
  7. Are any of these varieties more desirable than the others? I think I am right in saying Polish and Silkies can require extra attention and Wyandottes are pretty desirable for egg production?
Many thanks!
Suppose I should change my name to BrandonsBirds with all these new additions to the family!

Occasionally, I hatch eggs for other people for little or no cost (so long as they provide the feed). A lovely lady has asked me if I could try to hatch 24 bantam eggs for her and I have a few questions about these.

She only wants approximately 12 chicks for herself, based on shipped eggs hatching rates (my average is 75%-80% for well-packed eggs), we will have maybe 18 chicks so there may be a few extra that I could keep.. prompting more questions! (I know very little about chickens sorry!) I will have free reign to pick my chicks first as she is not bothered at all, however I will not just pick all the girls.

I wouldn't be looking for anything in particular with my babies, just would like to know a bit more about each variety and what they could do for me, I know some varieties differ as bantams in comparison to their usual-sized counterparts.

The varieties of bantams can be: Polish, Maran, Pekin, Frizzle, Sablepoot, Silkie, Wyandotte & Cross breed.
  1. How small are the eggs in comparison to a coturnix quail egg? My incubator can fit either 64 quail eggs or 16 supermarket-sized chicken eggs.
  2. I would most likely have to cull any males as they'd be far to loud for this area, but what are females like in terms of noise?
  3. When will the boys begin making a lot of noise? I have see nocrow collars but they seem a bit...
  4. Are size requirements the same as regular chickens, any special notes like certain roost heights or something?
  5. Our ground is bricks, can I build up their run on that with soil and woodchip? Or are they okay to run around on the bricks?
  6. I assume all the varieties get on with each other, any special things to note about them?
  7. Are any of these varieties more desirable than the others? I think I am right in saying Polish and Silkies can require extra attention and Wyandottes are pretty desirable for egg production?
Many thanks!
Suppose I should change my name to BrandonsBirds with all these new additions to the family!
1. You can hatch bantam eggs in a regular incubation rack, since I don’t have coturnix quail I don’t know if they are comparable.

2. Hens don’t make a lot of noise. The loudest noises they make is the egg song.

3. I’ve had some crow as early as 3-4 months old. Some boys are very loud while other boys are quiet or barely crow at all.

4. Bantams love to fly, so you don’t have to worry about roost height. Because bantams are smaller you can fit more chickens into a space, so if you have a cage that says 5-6 chickens fit you can put 6-8 bantams it that space.

5. I’d build their run up with soil and wood chips so that can dust bath and it will help absorb liquid and maybe help keep the run more clean.

6. All verities get along together. Young rooster may try to mount or peck the hens when they start getting more hormones and want to breed. You can separate them if you want but I usually keep mine together.

7. desirable breeds people are wanting as pets are usually silkies, cochins, D’Uccles, and mixed breed. Silkies and polish actually aren’t all that high maintenance. I not really had any problems with them not being able to see.

1. You can hatch bantam eggs in a regular incubation rack, since I don’t have coturnix quail I don’t know if they are comparable.
Okay that's fair, thank you.
2. Hens don’t make a lot of noise. The loudest noises they make is the egg song.
Awesome!
3. I’ve had some crow as early as 3-4 months old. Some boys are very loud while other boys are quiet or barely crow at all.
Younger than I thought, I'm sure they'll be bigger than my quail so make a nice meal.
4. Bantams love to fly, so you don’t have to worry about roost height. Because bantams are smaller you can fit more chickens into a space, so if you have a cage that says 5-6 chickens fit you can put 6-8 bantams it that space.
Understood, thank you. Is there an exact conversion? Like 10 bantams for 5 chickens?
5. I’d build their run up with soil and wood chips so that can dust bath and it will help absorb liquid and maybe help keep the run more clean.
Okay that is perfect, thank you.
6. All verities get along together. Young rooster may try to mount or peck the hens when they start getting more hormones and want to breed. You can separate them if you want but I usually keep mine together.
No worries, thank you!
7. desirable breeds people are wanting as pets are usually silkies, cochins, D’Uccles, and mixed breed. Silkies and polish actually aren’t all that high maintenance. I not really had any problems with them not being able to see.
Oh really? I've never met anyone with either breed but have always seen online they're meant to be high maintenance.. the Polish wife would be very happy with Polish chickens!

Messenger Kids_creation_29241038.png
20230116_175620.jpg

You forgot these breeds if that's only the ones she wants forgive me

Back
Top Bottom