banty hen with 6 chicks

shiro1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Central Pa.
Hi all just wondering if a banty hen with 6 chicks probably atleat 4 wks old cause they can fly, will be laying eggs anytime soon. Or will it take her a while to start laying again. I just bought her and her chicks all together at an auction and when i took mother out of cage all chicks went flying all over the room, which i didnt expect. I am also not sure of what she is i will post a pic and maybe you can give any thoughts. She is a beautiful hen and the chicks are cute too. Thanks any info will be appreciated

Last edited:
I have a BR hen with 6 chicks. It usually takes her 8 weeks or more for her to start laying again. Your chicks need momma until they are fully feathered out. She'll kick them out of the nest when they're ready. Just leave it to momma. She knows best.
smile.png

My OEGB banty started laying when her chick was around 2 weeks old and my silkie girls started laying about 4-6 weeks after they hatched they chicks.

my hen look exactly like that!!! i dont know what she is either! here is a couple pics of mine

Yes so that is my hen rosie! ik she is a serama mix.... i was thinking a old english game hen X serama

hi you are right they look alot alike. But our hen is pretty big and seramas are the smallest chicken in the world ,not to mention her legs are not feathered. Also she has 5 toes, all her babies have 4 toes except one which has 5. So we are not sure what she is old english game hens only have 4 toes. We dont care what she is, she is very pretty bird as is yours.

Your bird maybe a mix between an old english game hen and something else. i now know that mine is most likely a cross between those two. Anyways good luck with the mama and 6 babies!!! hope all goes well!
wee.gif

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question, but your little hen is beautiful!! She looks like the mama hen of two of our baby chicks. She was an Old English / Silkie mix. She is beautiful!! The daddy of little ones is an Old English - so I am anxious to see how much Silkie they have. One has feathers on her legs with blueish tinted legs and beak but the other has not extra feathers and a yellow beak and legs...so we'll just have to see what we get.

Back
Top Bottom