Banty Rooster keeps running off immature roosters

Uncle Rhino

Chirping
Aug 9, 2019
Port Orchard, WA
Is there anyway to stop a 2 and a half yrs old banty rooster from running my full sized rooster's off. As soon as they 20 weeks he chases them off. Neighbors have Albert and 6 hens thanks to Moe. Oh Moe is Caroline's pet, so culling, killing, giving him away is not an option if I want a happy home. "If Mama ain't happy no one will be."

I agree, a separate coop and run for him would probably be your best solution
Thank starting construction on it tomorrow. Caroline wants him to be free range. I told her, Moe won't be in solitary confinement forever. Just til the bigger rooster get established, and Moe learns to be nice. To me that's never judging from what I read and your posts. Thank you.

I agree, a separate coop and run for him would probably be your best solution
Thank you for your advice, began construction on new coop, and run for him. Going to use the frame from an old portable garage replacing sides, ends with chicken wire. Make a high roost. It will be a Maxiumum Security Prison for Criminally Insane Banty Roosters. Sorry a dad joke

Is there anyway to stop a 2 and a half yrs old banty rooster from running my full sized rooster's off. As soon as they 20 weeks he chases them off. Neighbors have Albert and 6 hens thanks to Moe. Oh Moe is Caroline's pet, so culling, killing, giving him away is not an option if I want a happy home. "If Mama ain't happy no one will be."
This is completely normal behavior. If Moe is the senior rooster then he will try to prevent any other roosters, or cockerels from mating with his hens.
I would not lock him up. You will fare better and so will your hens if you let Moe get on with being the boss. He will keep the cockerels away from the hens which will help stop the cockerels pestering them and as the senior rooster, helps to keep a cohesive group.

This is completely normal behavior. If Moe is the senior rooster then he will try to prevent any other roosters, or cockerels from mating with his hens.
I would not lock him up. You will fare better and so will your hens if you let Moe get on with being the boss. He will keep the cockerels away from the hens which will help stop the cockerels pestering them and as the senior rooster, helps to keep a cohesive group.
Good points....maybe it's the other cockerels who should be confined...or eaten.

BTW @Uncle Rhino ..did you get your hens back from the neighbors?

Back
Top Bottom