bantys lay when??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redturtle, Aug 19, 2010.

1. redturtle

redturtle Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    when do bantys start to lay??

i have 6 i am waiting on...they are 19/20 weeks old

thnx 4 the info

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    It depends on the breed..they lay about the same as the lf birds do.Average age is around 6 months but some breeds begin earlier and some take their own sweet time [​IMG]

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My Bantam SP Rocks started at 17 weeks last October. I always heard bantams mature faster, but I don't know.

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I have 3 bantam pullets and I got my first egg 2 days ago. They will be 6 months old on Monday. It was the Sebright who laid the first egg. She already laid egg #2 today and the other 2 have yet to lay.

5. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I have a few bantam pullets and we got our FIRST EGG yesterday! At 20 weeks old. Probably won't get another one for 6 months if you ask my husband (he said that exactly "Wait 6 more months and you might get another one") I am no expert...just sharing how long my wait took.

6. redturtle

redturtle Songster

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    thnx for the info everybody...

my silver sebright will be the last to lay i think when they do start...she barely has any comb and is just starting to turn pink
    my red pyle will be the first i think since her comb is big and bright red already...
    my 2 bb red will be next and then my 2 mille fleur d'uccle

actually...i take it back...my little black silkie will be the last to lay since they dont start until they are about 9 months old i think

guess i will just keep my ears open for a little voiced egg song and a small white marble...lol

thnx again everybody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by