1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bare Back Hens....help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NoSpringChick, Feb 10, 2009.

1. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Alright...I hope someone can help. I have 10 hens and one rooster. Two of the hens are buff orpingtons (my favorite). All of the hens are being mated by this rooster...he doesn't beat up on them too much, but only the two buffs are bare back....What can I do? I have tried putting Bag Balm on them and duck taping their backs and that helps for a week, but then the tape comes off and their backs become raw again.

I hope someone can help. I don't know why these two are the only bare backs ones.

2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    There are supposed to be saddles somewhere in here that members make for you to buy. I read that you have to do a search with the word 'saddle'.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Precisely!

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I've ordered my saddles from MBLDesigns.com, Marion LoPrinzi, and I have been very satisfied with them. They've held up for over a year and a half on my Orps and I just got another 10 of them for my new BCM and EE hens.

She'll do custom designs as well and she has lots of designs that she already does.

Here's her website:

http://mbldesigns.com/
    [​IMG]

5. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    Bare Back Hens....... Sounds like a new rodeo event.

Would trimming the roos claws and spurs help?

6. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Thanks Angel,

I just ordered two aprons from her. I hope this works.
    Thanks for taking the time to post.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    you will see a difference now. Those two hens are his favs [​IMG]

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I just made them out of really cheap fleece. I think I paid $4 fo almost 2 yards of fleece. I got 14 saddles out of it with some leftover! Here's a link to the thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=112898

I ended up building our roo a bachelor pad this weekend though. He kept rubbing the same hens, and even with the saddles their backs were getting worse. I'm hoping a few weeks in solitary will give the girls time to regrow feathers!!

Sonja

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I'm going to get saddles from Mags here on BYC because mine are getting bare too. Not only becasue of the roo but becasue I have seen them pull out each others feathers and EAT THEM! Silly hens!

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    i'm a newby but i read somewhere in here that if they are plucking AND eating each others feathers that they may need more protien in thier diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by