Bare bottoms

soldierinchrist

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
I have Buff Orps. and there are some that have lost the feathers on thier butts. they are now a year old and have been laying just fine. i have noticed a little feather pulling from them but nothing agressive. Those with bare butts do not seem to be in any stress and I know they have been laying also. Is this normal?

God bless yall

Normal, so far as I can hear. One of our orps has a bare bootty, the other is fully feathered. Not sure what it is, but they are healthy, drink, sleep, poop, lay. Best of luck but sounds normal

can be normal but usually has something to do with their environment. A lot of times chickens with a red mite/lice infestation will attempt to preen(clean their feathers) too much trying to get rid of the irritation that they literally pull their own feathers out. Also, chickens in too small of a space will litterally peck eachothers feathers off... it takes a while for the feathers to come back :)... dust their bums and dust bath area with DE(food or poultry grade). Hope this helps!

Out of my 6 chickens one has a bare bottom. They don't seem to be feather picking. I don't believe there are any mites etc. She seems perfectly normal, just different. I tried to get a picture of the rear, but every time she saw the camera she came to see if it was something to eat. You can see some of it in the attached pic.It is about 5 inches in diameter. It looks bigger when when she is facing away with head down eating.

I had a buff orp who had the same issue she seemed fine. Unfortunately she was killed by a dog but she lived for quite a while with a bare bottom!

Back
Top Bottom