Bare butt on my hen

cfocats

Hatching
Dec 23, 2021
One of my hens has some weird stuff on her butt and bare skin
I'm going to clean it off and put diameters on it tonight. Too hard to catch during day and less stress for her.
Anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20220221_124444.jpg
    20220221_124444.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 39
Clean the feathers.
Here's an article to help!
How to clean up after a chicken with a Lazy Cloaca

How to clean up after a chicken with a Lazy Cloaca

It’s not uncommon to find that your hen has a clump of poop stuck to the feathers surrounding her vent. However, you may still be frightened by this, assuming some sort of illness is the cause. In some cases this is true, but more often than not a much simpler explanation can be found. A chicken...

One of my hens has some weird stuff on her butt and bare skin
I'm going to clean it off and put diameters on it tonight. Too hard to catch during day and less stress for her.
Anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance
What's diameters?

I would clean her off, looks like she's got a poop ball stuck in her feathers.

Urates in feces is scalding her skin which causes redness and irritation. Wash off the feces and trim back fluff and feathers just a little. Apply Nu-Stock on the red irritated skin and it will heal it, apply as necessary and wear disposable gloves.
thnustock.jpg

The missing feathers may be from feather picking, but I would clean off the stuck poop. You can pull off any dry, and if necessary, give her bottom a soapy bath and dry completely with towel and hairdryer. Trim any excess fluff, and look her over for lice or mites. Possibly take a new picture of her vent. Did you mean diatomaceous earth or DE?

Back
Top Bottom