bare naked necks

Rhaena

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
Hi,
I have 9 Rhode Island Red hens that are 1 1/2 yrs old. About 6 of the 9 now have naked necks and some of the necks are bright red - no blood. I don't know why they are pecking out each others feathers (because of the location I think it impossible to peck out their own feathers) - I'm certain they are picking the feathers out at night while roosting because I don't see them doing it during the day. I have given them shade, more room to roost on and put Ava Charge in their water. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Okay...so am I to understand that the naked necks are just happening, that they weren't born that way, right?

So, there's no "Turken" in their genes?

If not...I'm wondering if they're laying on a pile, neck over neck each night.

The reason I suspect this is because I have 3 broodies, and the one whose been laying on the nest the longest, Heidi, is completely bald on her breasts, I suspect from the continual laying on the eggs...I swear, it feels like you need to season her! haha

All morbidity aside...that's another option to think about...can you sneak out and see how they're laying at night?

Kristi

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks for the responses. I put out dry cat food this morning and they seemed to like that. The necks are only bare in the front so I don't think they are laying on each other. Although, I have one hen who has always slept in a laying box even though I take out the eggs each day, and she isn't missing any feathers on her neck. Also, no turken in their lineage - just pure breed RIR.
Anyone else out there with any other suggestions.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom