Bare spot on dogs head...

Ringworm doesn't show in a skin scraping. It will glow in a blacklight though. I wouldn't give the oral antifungals unless its confirmed, they aren't easy on the body. Some athletes foot cream wouldn't hurt to try. If it was ringworm, it prob would have spread though, esp when giving a steroid. Same if it was a mange, steroids would make it worse. Ik'd be trying a new vet. I don't like when they just say "dunno" and hand out pred like candy. Pred is no joke, and it can have serious and long lasting effects.
The response to pred may indicate some kind of autoimmune condition. It may not be "treatable" or it may not be worth the side effects of treating if the head spot is all there is, but it could be an indication of bigger problems in the future that may be avaoidable

watchdogps, in what way would an oral antifungal be bad for the body?
I once had all my animals coming down with a contagious fungus
& an oral treated all of them immediately and effectively,
I felt it was the best treatment for containment,
spread, & eradication...
I agree = Pred, or antibio IMO would be worse.
And every topical treatment I tried with persistent RW in several animals,
myself included, just wasnt working. And it was during this seasonal
time of year....

I have read where RW will show up with Blacklight, so that i do agree with....

AnimalsComeFirst
Please let us know with what you come up with and tells us what worked 4 u.
We all do want to know

It looks just like what my "grand-dog" had. It was a reaction to the rabies shot that she had and she was on some kind of medicine for a while. It took a long time for it to clear up and the hair to grow back. The vet said it was very rare to happen but he switched to a different type of rabies vacine. I will try to contact my daughter in law and ask her for for info.

Quote:
Sure, ask. You never know, it may help.
wink.png

Quote:
I don't really recall what the reason was, but when I did a lot of cat fostering, I know they didn't want to use oral antifungals unless it was really bad, or not respomding to topicals. I will see if I can find out the why's of iy.

Back
Top Bottom