bare, swollen bum and some blood

micahm21

Chirping
Sep 27, 2015
see this video - I can't explain any better.
IMG_2484.PNG

I gave her a bath in Epsom salt and warm water. the really dark bits around the base of the remaining feathers is congealed blood. her vent is clear and seems healthy... there are no signs she has sustained an injury, peck or bite. she has low energy & not much interest in food or water.

I am at a loss...

thanks so much for any advice!!!

Hi :frowWelcome To BYC

How is she doing?

I'm not sure where they congealed blood came from, I don't see any obvious wounds in the video - try your best to clean that off. Has she been laying eggs?

The swelling of the abdomen - does it feel like it has fluid in it or is it hard? She is most likely suffering from an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Ascites, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors or Salpingitis.

If the belly feels like it has fluid in it, that can sometimes be drained to give relief. A vet is best to help with this. You can try draining yourself with an 18guage needle, but this is usually a short term fix and infection usually takes over.

Offer her some poultry vitamins and see if she will eat for you after you get her hydrated. You can hopefully entice her with some wet feed, chopped egg or tuna.

Keep us posted.

Update - she is doing much better!

Gave her epsom salt baths, massage and added apple cider vinegar to their water. She is not 100% yet but the swelling is gone and she is eating and drinking normally. She's a still a little low energy compared to her sisters and isn't roosting at night yet. Still not sure what the issue was...

I appreciate both of your responses!

Good I am glad she is getting better keep me posted!
Update - she is doing much better!

Gave her epsom salt baths, massage and added apple cider vinegar to their water. She is not 100% yet but the swelling is gone and she is eating and drinking normally. She's a still a little low energy compared to her sisters and isn't roosting at night yet. Still not sure what the issue was...

I appreciate both of your responses!

Ok i did some research and I think the she or he may have a disease called Thrust and so you can do research and if they don't get better go to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom