Bark scorpion sting and legs are paralyzed

I tried a scrambled egg and she took a bite and wasn’t having it. She ate a couple bites of grubblies and that’s it. She just keeps dozing off.. 🥺
Keep at it though. Not a doctor, but growing up in Africa allowed me to glean a bit in regards to neurotoxins. Supportive treatment is a big player in making a recovery. Avoid anything that is vaguely a depressant on the central nervous system.

If a human got hit by such a nasty, I would keep him stimulated, while hydrated and fed, while watching heart and breathing. Go with that on your little dinosaur and you will likely get her through.

Keep at it though. Not a doctor, but growing up in Africa allowed me to glean a bit in regards to neurotoxins. Supportive treatment is a big player in making a recovery. Avoid anything that is vaguely a depressant on the central nervous system.

If a human got hit by such a nasty, I would keep him stimulated, while hydrated and fed, while watching heart and breathing. Go with that on your little dinosaur and you will likely get her through.
Thank you. Yes, I thought the same thing. That’s a lot of venom for a little body, and I’ve been stung and know just how awful I felt. It’s been 44 hours since she got stung. I’m still thankful we saw it so we knew what happened and could give Benadryl so quickly. I keep offering her food and she’s got her water and chicken electrolytes to drink from. I’m about to make another egg and see how that goes. I’ve not medicated her at all today so I’m hoping the sleepiness will improve as the neurotoxins are diminishing. Fingers crossed

Thank you. Yes, I thought the same thing. That’s a lot of venom for a little body, and I’ve been stung and know just how awful I felt. It’s been 44 hours since she got stung. I’m still thankful we saw it so we knew what happened and could give Benadryl so quickly. I keep offering her food and she’s got her water and chicken electrolytes to drink from. I’m about to make another egg and see how that goes. I’ve not medicated her at all today so I’m hoping the sleepiness will improve as the neurotoxins are diminishing. Fingers crossed
Neurotoxins tend to smother the victim and make them feel awful. Keep her breathing and spoil her rotten. Good luck.

*****UPDATE*****

Sapphie is standing!!!!
Wobbly but standing
Within an hour of the calcium she was more alert. I've syringed fluids every 1.5 hours alternating between water and electrolytes
She just ate her favorite treat out of my hand
That seemed to wear her out but she she's sitting feet tucked under her and fell back asleep
I’m getting hopeful!!!
****another update******

Ok sapphie is more alert today and walking some, but not normal. She’s waddling and seems to be breathing hard. She ate half an egg this morning and dozed off each time I tried to get her to eat. I watched her try to poo and nothing came out, but her bum and feathers were all covered in poo. I got her cleaned up, but didn’t want to stress her too much. When I held her, she seemed so full and heavy and bulging on the backside. The vent is not bulging though. She laid the day of the scorpion sting. I don’t feel an egg. Is this Ascites? 😬😬😩😩
Can you see the bulge? Her tummy is full and squishy

Attachments

• IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have done necropsies on quite a few with ascites. Sometimes you can see I from the bulging lower abdomens, but even smaller birds can have it. The bottoms look more enlarged with the absence of feathers. Inserting a sterile 18 gauge hypodermic needle after disinfecting the skin, might help to confirm ascites if you get yellow to dark amber or even green liquid. Ascites will usually cause the normally white urates to appear yellow. I usually don’t drain ascites, but prefer to look for it with a necropsy after death. You could also insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or poop.

I have done necropsies on quite a few with ascites. Sometimes you can see I from the bulging lower abdomens, but even smaller birds can have it. The bottoms look more enlarged with the absence of feathers. Inserting a sterile 18 gauge hypodermic needle after disinfecting the skin, might help to confirm ascites if you get yellow to dark amber or even green liquid. Ascites will usually cause the normally white urates to appear yellow. I usually don’t drain ascites, but prefer to look for it with a necropsy after death. You could also insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or poop.
This was her poop just a few minutes ago. Is that a small amount of blood??

Attachments

• IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    748.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom