Bark scorpion sting and legs are paralyzed

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
Please help. My sweet Sapphie ate a bark scorpion and got stung while eating it last night. We just happened to see it and it had its babies on its back. Within five minutes she was lethargic and within an hour couldn’t stand or hold her head up. We got some Benadryl in her and she made it through the night. This morning she appears a little more alert and was able to hold her head up some. I gave her some water and she just seems so tired. Her eyes are clear. She cannot move her legs. They are splayed out. She was able to move her wings a little more but she’s just laying there. Has anyone had a chicken survive a bark scorpion? Her breathing is better but still seems to work for it. My heart is breaking I’m just so worried. Thanks for any advice or info if you’ve had a chicken go through this.

I found this in the Merck manual from sticky topics above. Neurotoxin blocks potassium and sodium channels- reason for muscle paralysis. Swallowing, cardiac contraction can also be impacted by blocking these channels- until others weigh in keep her quiet and consider bringing her out of the heat. You can offer drops of fluid if crop is empty but there’s a chance that the muscles used for voluntary swallowing will be weak or absent.

Benadryl was good choice. I’m unsure of dosing but if it can be repeated then it causes an anticholinergic response (toxin causes cholinergic) and may help with the effects.

Scorpion Bites to Animals​

The large stinger at the end of the dorsal abdomen of a scorpion is connected to the venom glands and is the main defense mechanism, which poses risk to predators and companion animals. The species of scorpions found in the US are unlikely to cause envenomation in companion animals; however, a sting from a scorpion can be very painful. Severe toxicity is not likely.
However, the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) causes more extensive systemic envenomation in some animals. These scorpions are found in Arizona, western New Mexico, southern Utah, and Nevada. The bark scorpion can occasionally also be seen along the Colorado River in California.
The venom of a bark scorpion contains neurotoxins that block potassium and sodium channels, inhibiting neuromuscular transmission. Catecholamines and acetylcholine is released in large amounts, stimulating sympathetic and parasympathetic responses and leading to changes in heart rate and blood pressure. The most common effects are tachycardia and hypertension, but agitation, twitching, and hypersalivation can also occur. However, in most canine patients, a bark scorpion sting is often limited to localized pain, edema, erythema, and pruritis, which can be managed with supportive care and administration of analgesics; systemic clinical signs are not common, but patients should be monitored for their development, and an antivenom is available. The antivenom is rarely used as a treatment modality in veterinary medicine, because it must be administered within minutes of stinging to reverse systemic effects.

I found this in the Merck manual from sticky topics above. Neurotoxin blocks potassium and sodium channels- reason for muscle paralysis. Swallowing, cardiac contraction can also be impacted by blocking these channels- until others weigh in keep her quiet and consider bringing her out of the heat. You can offer drops of fluid if crop is empty but there’s a chance that the muscles used for voluntary swallowing will be weak or absent.

Benadryl was good choice. I’m unsure of dosing but if it can be repeated then it causes an anticholinergic response (toxin causes cholinergic) and may help with the effects.

Scorpion Bites to Animals​

The large stinger at the end of the dorsal abdomen of a scorpion is connected to the venom glands and is the main defense mechanism, which poses risk to predators and companion animals. The species of scorpions found in the US are unlikely to cause envenomation in companion animals; however, a sting from a scorpion can be very painful. Severe toxicity is not likely.
However, the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda) causes more extensive systemic envenomation in some animals. These scorpions are found in Arizona, western New Mexico, southern Utah, and Nevada. The bark scorpion can occasionally also be seen along the Colorado River in California.
The venom of a bark scorpion contains neurotoxins that block potassium and sodium channels, inhibiting neuromuscular transmission. Catecholamines and acetylcholine is released in large amounts, stimulating sympathetic and parasympathetic responses and leading to changes in heart rate and blood pressure. The most common effects are tachycardia and hypertension, but agitation, twitching, and hypersalivation can also occur. However, in most canine patients, a bark scorpion sting is often limited to localized pain, edema, erythema, and pruritis, which can be managed with supportive care and administration of analgesics; systemic clinical signs are not common, but patients should be monitored for their development, and an antivenom is available. The antivenom is rarely used as a treatment modality in veterinary medicine, because it must be administered within minutes of stinging to reverse systemic effects.
Thank you so much. She’s isolated and out of the heat. Our dogs have been stung and they drooled for a few hours and it was over. But they are over 80lbs each. Sapphie is so little with their strong venom I was worried it’s too much for her. She seemed to be able to keep the water in this morning better than last night. I just didn’t know if anyone had a chicken survive this kind of sting since they’re the most venomous in the US, or what else I can do 😭

Thank you so much. She’s isolated and out of the heat. Our dogs have been stung and they drooled for a few hours and it was over. But they are over 80lbs each. Sapphie is so little with their strong venom I was worried it’s too much for her. She seemed to be able to keep the water in this morning better than last night. I just didn’t know if anyone had a chicken survive this kind of sting since they’re the most venomous in the US, or what else I can do 😭
So sorry for the stress your under. Glad she’s able to keep water down. Maybe just keep doing what you are doing and it will run its course. :hugs

I just got a little bit of electrolytes in. She seems e even more tired but flopped and turned herself 180 degrees and now laying completely flat out. I’m at a loss. I hope someone can chime in

I would recommend getting some liquid calcium. Scorpion stings, like venomous spiders cause muscle cramps. Having been victims of both, (at sperate times)
I was treated to a shot of benadryl and a calcium and iv drip. Additionally I'd give her some poultry cell.
@NorthwoodsChick had done a bit of reading so I'll defer to her.

I would recommend getting some liquid calcium. Scorpion stings, like venomous spiders cause muscle cramps. Having been victims of both, (at sperate times)
I was treated to a shot of benadryl and a calcium and iv drip. Additionally I'd give her some poultry cell.
@NorthwoodsChick had done a bit of reading so I'll defer to her.
That’s a good idea. I actually have some. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom