Bark scorpion sting and legs are paralyzed

Sorry about your chickens, and I am glad the others are helping you. I don’t have any experience with scorpions. Fluids can be given or tube fed 15 ml per pound of weight 2-3 times a day. It is always easier if they will drink from a small cup in front of them, but tube feeding is easy to learn and quick. I hope that your chicken recovers from this sting.
Thank you. I will save this info. Hopefully I’ll never need it again! 😩💕

Bark scorpions, the skinny bodied, one inch pale ones are deadly. But most larger. darker scorpions are no more dangerous than bee stings, if that. Recently, a scorpion crawled into bed with me and stung me, waking me up. It stung me again as I was trying to kick it out of my bed. (I mean, really.)

That was in the wee hours, and by morning there wasn't even a red spot left and no pain. This is what to expect of most scorpions you encounter.

To set your mind at ease regarding our chickens sometimes eagerly consuming crawly things they encounter, some that happen to be venomous, the venom will not poison the chicken if they swallow the critter. The molecules in venom, insect or reptile, are way too large to pass through the membranes of the digestive system into the blood stream. As long as the chicken doesn't get bitten or stung, they are able to eat all the venomous insects and reptiles they wish with no harm to them.

You got right on it with the Benedryl and that's why your chicken is going to survive. Good thinking. Shows you have a good head in an emergency. As for the Benedryl, the best form is children's liquid Benedryl. The dose is .5ml. (that's one-half mililiter) If a second dose is needed, you must wait 24 hours, and after that one, no more or you risk overdosing the chicken. Diphenhydramine is a powerful sedative, and chickens can't handle too much.

Last edited:
Bark scorpions, the skinny bodied, one inch pale ones are deadly. But most larger. darker scorpions are no more dangerous than bee stings, if that. Recently, a scorpion crawled into bed with me and stung me, waking me up. It stung me again as I was trying to kick it out of my bed. (I mean, really.)

That was in the wee hours, and by morning there wasn't even a red spot left and no pain. This is what to expect of most scorpions you encounter.

To set your mind at ease regarding our chickens sometimes eagerly consuming crawly things they encounter, some that happen to be venomous, the venom will not poison the chicken if they swallow the critter. The molecules in venom, insect or reptile, are way too small to pass through the membranes of the digestive system into the blood stream. As long as the chicken doesn't get bitten or stung, they are able to eat all the venomous insects and reptiles they wish with no harm to them.

You got right on it with the Benedryl and that's why your chicken is going to survive. Good thinking. Shows you have a good head in an emergency. As for the Benedryl, the best form is children's liquid Benedryl. The dose is .5ml. (that's one-half mililiter) If a second dose is needed, you must wait 24 hours, and after that one, no more or you risk overdosing the chicken. Diphenhydramine is a powerful sedative, and chickens can't handle too much.
the only scorpions that scare me are the bark scorpions. I’ve been stung on a finger and the numbness/pain/weakness went to my neck and lasted 48 hrs. The girls have eaten them for years and we never had an issue. We were doing yard work and when a rock or a planter gets moved the girls are always there waiting to gobble up whatever was hiding haha. There was the scorpion and she happened to be the one that got it first and then bam… she went downhill. Literally just about fell over and could only open her eyes. Benadryl was the first thought and thankfully she made it through the night, and now with everything she’s able to stand and now is drinking water on her own.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. It is much appreciated ❤️❤️

How’s your girl doing this morning?
She’s doing better thank you She’s drinking on her own and I have water out and electrolytes. She’s eating but just small amounts and seems to nod off after a couple of bites. But she stood up a couple of times then would sit back down. She pooped but it wasn’t a normal poop, but I figure that’s probably normal right now. All in all way better than yesterday, just hoping today she’s even better 💕

She’s doing better thank you She’s drinking on her own and I have water out and electrolytes. She’s eating but just small amounts and seems to nod off after a couple of bites. But she stood up a couple of times then would sit back down. She pooped but it wasn’t a normal poop, but I figure that’s probably normal right now. All in all way better than yesterday, just hoping today she’s even better 💕
Now that she is eating, perhaps some scrambled egg or a bit of ground beef to build her up.

Back
Top Bottom