barking chickens

momreda

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Cumberland Furnace, TN
I have a flock of 40 chickens ranging from 2 months to 7 months they are in 2 coops 14 x 7 with runs totaling about 300 sq feet. All have been healthy and active but the last 2 day we have noticed the only pullet laying is making a barking sound and a 3 month old pullet is doing the same. There drops look fine and there is no other changes in there behavior. The layer did get very wet a few days ago from a rain storm, Is this something to be concerned with?

It sounds like the older pullet is just announcing her laying an egg, and is upsetting the other chickens by her noise.

Are there any other symptoms? Any thing else out of the ordinary?

Are they Bar Rocks?....Did they happen to watch 101 Dalmations while.... before they went to the coop?...

Yeah, they'll bark while they're in the nest, more so when they've gone broody. The young un??...hrmmmmm, prolly peer pressure. But it's all good. If the sound they're making is while they're walking around you might be hearing a sneeze, sounds somewhat like a bark. If so, search up sneezing and you'll get a wealth of info.
smile.png

forgot some dots...

Last edited:
The older one is a barred Rock.... she hasn't seen 101 Dalmations however we do have 7 dogs;)

After I read your posts, it reminded me that about 3 days ago she also got upset when I took her egg out of the box even though she was not sitting on it or even near it. She saw me leaving the coop, went back inside for a second, then, came running outside making a noise I never heard her make before. She has only been laying for 3 weeks, can they go broody that soon?

The younger one is a White Leghorn...also has not seen 101 dalmations....I know were slacking:lol:

Don't know about how soon they'll go broody. Seems a little soon to me. I pondered that a bit a while back and came up with 2 trains of thought.

Survival instincts - feeling they need to for what ever reason.

Bottom of the pecking order - gone broody to avoid the mayhem that the other chickens bring.

Was missing a 10 week old peep the other day at sunset, looked outside in the run...No Peep. Went back inside checked nests in brooder section (not being used for egg laying because of 2 mommas raising cane...and their peeps) or so I thought. Checked last nest and lo and behold there was a peep in there that got up when I looked in to reveal an egg underneath...so 3rd train.

Playing house.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom