Barking Hen :/ (WITH VIDEO) HELP NEEDED

Doctor Pammie

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Piedmont area of Virginia
One of our EE hens (4 y/o) has been "barking" since early December. First, we thought it was some kind of illness and tried her on antibiotics. No improvement. We waited a week, tried a different antibiotic, no improvement. It now seems she must have something stuck in her larynx/trachea. Is this possible? Apart from her "barking" she is totally normal. Her comb is red, her feathers are beautiful, she free ranges and interacts normally with the rest of the flock. When she "barks" she shakes her head and she gapes afterwards. This is most common while or immediately after she has been moving. All her other chicken noises are normal, clucking, cooing, etc. We have read so much and can't come to any other conclusion. Does anyone else have experience with this or other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice! --Pam

You'd think that registered breeders always tell you to only buy from registered breeders because they are making money out of it and are greedy like used car salesmen, but no ! you've been tricked by a private seller into buying two puppies in a chicken suit pretending to be a chicken, but it's really one puppy on another one's shoulders. Do you have video evidence ? No really, it would be very nice to hear the bark. I have a polish chicken which makes a sound like a grumpy growl or grumpy bark. It's very different to the other polish I have. I would think it may be considered normal.

unlike me.

looking at the video, I would say that she is trying to clear her airway, it's basically sneezing. She doesn't seem to be in any significant pain at all, so I'd just wait it out and she will improve eventually.

She does this all the time after and while moving. The birds free range, so I don't see how it can be dust causing this much sneezing. She doesn't do it when she's eating and most of the time I feed them a dampened mash anyhow because I find it reduces waste. Right now, for instance, it's raining and she's out there barking. None of our other 20 or so birds do this. And it started very suddenly. The fact that it only happens while or after she's been on the move, and therefore theoretically would need more air, is what makes me think something must have gone down the wrong pipe. But I am wondering if that is even possible.

Infectious bronchitis can cause sneezing often, but it would have spread to the other chickens, and it wouldn't last more than a month. My guess is that it must be something environmental, possibly an allergen or mold. Wish I had more suggestions.

She does this all the time after and while moving. The birds free range, so I don't see how it can be dust causing this much sneezing. She doesn't do it when she's eating and most of the time I feed them a dampened mash anyhow because I find it reduces waste. Right now, for instance, it's raining and she's out there barking. None of our other 20 or so birds do this. And it started very suddenly. The fact that it only happens while or after she's been on the move, and therefore theoretically would need more air, is what makes me think something must have gone down the wrong pipe. But I am wondering if that is even possible.

it's likely. I had one with a wheat husk stuck in her eye. I removed it and dabbed honey on it and she's 100% now. There is no reason why something similar like a husk can't be stuck in her windpipe. I would expect to find either a cyst of some kind or an obstruction. You might take her to a vet if you can't find it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom