Barn cat??

mvinotime

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Hi I was wondering if any of you have cats that also have free range chickens? I have a nice barn for my horses, gpats and sheep but keep finding dreaded mice poop! I would like to get a barn cat to live in thebarn and help with that issue but I am concerned for my chickens? Any thoughts?

I have cats and dogs and free range chickens. The cats are fine with adult chickens, as they can fly a bit, and stick together. Ive seen the chickens peck the cat unprovoked, so I think they figure it out. I would be careful with young chickens. Older chickens will protect them, but not if you are just starting youngsters on their own. Keep a broom handy for training purposes.

I have a cat with free range chickens, she doesn't bother with them at all, even when they were only a few months old she never went after them and she has already brought us wild birds she caught

We added two outdoor cats to our farm a year and a half ago, and they grew up with the ducks, guineas and chickens. Since they were introduced to the birds when they were kittens, they completely ignore them now. I frequently see my black cat Pepper sleeping in the yard surrounded by ducks. Both cats tried stalking a chicken when they were younger, and in both cases the chickens ran over and pecked the cats, and that ended that game! Both cats are excellent hunters, taking out mice, moles, voles and birds on a daily basis, but they leave all of the chickens, ducks and guineas alone.

Back
Top Bottom