1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barn/Coop with tunnel....Works

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tigerbarbd, Nov 13, 2009.

1. tigerbarbd

tigerbarbd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Maryville,Tennessee
    Well we are finally done. We think it came out O.K. There are a few things that we will "tweek", but all in all we like it. It is 12'x12' "coop" with a 12' tunnel to get to their 25'x35' free range pen, covered with plastic netting.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Greetings!
    Just curious - why the tunnel?
    JJ

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    I'm guessing so coons and other critters can't get into the coop! Looks great.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:you close the door for that, if the chickens can walk through the tunnel so can the critters.

Perhaps its to keep the chickens from going places they shouldn't be going?

5. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    My guess is to get the chickens to go to their designated spot.

6. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe they want to store stuff in the area where the tunnel is without it getting poopy.

7. tigerbarbd

tigerbarbd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2009
    Maryville,Tennessee
    Quote:Good evening.....The tunnel is to get the Girls from their fenced and covered 25'x35' outside run. They come in from the outside through the small opening on the right, come down the tunnel and through a sliding door and into the "coop". I couldn't make a door right at their coop, because of the way I have "engineered" their outside run. At the out side end of the tunnel, there is a gate that will ,in one position, let them in the 25'x35' run on the Left.....Switch the gate the other way and they are on the 25'x35' run on the Right. Then we (they) can always have a fresh grass run, we will keep them in rotation to re-grow...............Thanks, Don P.S. Also,so they don't go where they are not supposed to go and nothing can get to them as they are free to go in and out all day! We close the sliding door at night to keep them safe!!!!

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Great idea. I did a 2000 sq ft run so that I could always have grass for the chooks (24 large eggers). I am not sure it will work tho. I may have to cross fence internally and keep a place always in seed and coming in to grass for them to have grass all of the time. I won't be sure for a year. Wish my place had been laid out so that I could have two separate runs. I would have to take a lot of trees and brush out and do a serious grass seeding project to do that. So I opted for just one big pen. I think I need fewer chooks to really keep grass in there with little effort.

BTW, I am in W Knoxville, near county line.

9. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would be interested to see pictures of the gate and runs. This is very interesting.

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We had to build a contraption like that except only 18 inches long to keep the little goats from going into the chicken yard through the pop hole and eating chicken food. Wethers can get urinary stones and die from eating grain. The goats could get their heads in but not lift their butts up to get in. It worked great and the chickens got used to it quickly. Then one day when they became little fat goats one of the stepped on it and crushed it so we took it down. They were too fat to fit through by that time!

Good ingenuity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by