Barn Coop

tucke022

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Has anybody used a stall in a Barn for a coop? I have a empty 4 stall barn 12x10 each roughly. I was thinking about putting a nesting box and perch in the barn stall and just put wire mesh the whole stall. Then cut a hole in the wall and make a wire coop run. Anybody have any suggestions or have done this? Maybe pics if you have please?

sounds like a great idea, an external run, with a pop door in the side. is it a dirt floor? if so, seriously consider spreading some kind of wire on the floor to keep the predators out, and cover it with sawdust or wood chips or dirt.

We considered making an unused stall in to a coop...but the flooring issue perplexed us. I have too often seen rodents and snakes in the barn and have uncovered their holes when replacing bedding. We figured we would start from scratch and build a "chicken-specific" building. However, with that said...now that chicken math has set in
wink.png
...there is a two-stall unused run in shed that I have been turning over in my mind. I am trying to figure out the best way to convert it to house chickens. My two concerns are its distance from the house...and also the dirt floor. If we do it, we will definitely cover the floor with hardware cloth small enough to prevent small rodents and mink from burrowing into it.

I have a 8 stall barn with a 12 ft. isle that I converted to chicken stalls last year. It is a pole barn built by Pride Barns. It has a red clay base with a foot of sand which has been replaced a few times over the years. I made some modifications to keep the chickens in.
55471_177.jpg

55471_image169.jpg

55471_image168.jpg

55471_image134.jpg

Back
Top Bottom