Barn into open air coop conversion

Past time for an update. Still haven't finished the run, but I have done a few other things.

I got the framing painted. At least what framing is up! Fishing tournaments and deer season has interrupted the run progress. Hope to work on it over the Thanksgiving weekend.

I've spent the last few days winterizing my coop. It does get below freezing several times during the winter. I just want to make sure the wind is blocked off of the chickens. Clear shower curtains and clear trash bags are what I have chosen as low cost wind breaks.

I added an extra roost and a tether cabbage for them to play with. Both seem to be a hit!

Thanks for looking! :)

Nice!

I made the waterer in your signature link.

How do you like it?

Mine was frozen this morning, not totally, but the top, sides and along the bottom, so the nipples didn't work. I made the cookie tin heater today at work, and have it out under the waterer now. It's supposed to be below freezing in the morning again, so I'll see if it works enough for the 5 gallon bucket or not. I hope it does, since I really don't have time to haul water out to the chickens every morning before work. I have to get them up before dawn now as it is to clean their poop board.

Are you monitoring your water temp?
Did the heater fail?
Mine's working fine so far.....only a few days at around 27-32.
I didn't have a heater under the waterer last night. I really wasn't sure if the nipples would freeze or not, so opted to leave it off last night and see how it went. I'll take a thermometer out in the morning and see what the temp is. IF I can find a regular thermometer. I don't think an ear one would work! LOL

What kind of heater are you using?

I like your water heater set up. Way more fancy than mine!

I wasn't able to check and see if the cookie tin heater worked or not, it didn't get down as low as they thought it would Sat. morning. It's supposed to be in the mid 20's tonight, so we'll see in the morning. This is November for Pete's sake. It shouldn't be this cold in Texas yet!!

@aart ~ Wanted to let you know that the cookie tin heater worked great! The temp was around 24 degrees. The water in the dog bucket had ice across the top. The poop on the poop board was frozen. The nipples were working just fine, no frozen water at all!

Update on the run: Picked up some more hardware cloth at Atwoods today. They had a special going on today, 10% off of your total purchase, so got a better deal than normal. I hope to be able to put some up over the Thanksgiving holidays. :)

@aart ~ Wanted to let you know that the cookie tin heater worked great! The temp was around 24 degrees. The water in the dog bucket had ice across the top. The poop on the poop board was frozen. The nipples were working just fine, no frozen water at all!

Update on the run: Picked up some more hardware cloth at Atwoods today. They had a special going on today, 10% off of your total purchase, so got a better deal than normal. I hope to be able to put some up over the Thanksgiving holidays. :)
Can you post some pics of your waterer and heater?

I thought I had a pic of it on my phone, but I guess not. I'll try and get one this week. I've already taken the heater out of the coop since we're not due any freezing weather for another week or so, and then it's only supposed to be around 30.

Back
Top Bottom