Barnevelder Attacked

Randdee196

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Hey,

I have a flock of 2 RIR and 2 Barnevelder free range hens, last night 1 RIR and 1 Barnevelder went missing. When I got home today I found the missing Barnevelder, but she isn't doing good.

She has all of her tail feathers pulled out, and some feathers on her neck are missing. She just stands in a puff ball, and she cant open her right eye. I can't tell where the injury is at, but the right side of her face is bloody and the blood is concentrated by her ear. So i dont know if its interal bleeding or not.

I have her in my bedroom in a dog crate with food and water, she wont eat and drink. I did brush some water on her beak, she smacked her beak then walked off in a corner.

Do you guys have any advice on how to help her out?

Keep her warm and quiet. Right now water is important. Do you have a dropper? Most of us don't so dip your finger in some nice cool water and put the drop on the side of her beak. She should swallow it. Do this until she won't drink anymore. Doing this a few times overnight would help a lot.

Make her some easy to eat mushed up food. Scrambled eggs mushed with a little water even grapes that are cut up tiny. Anything to get water in her system. She probably hasn't had anything to drink for 24 hours.

Be prepared for morning. These are bad wounds but if she's made it this far she might be OK.

When she perks up or at least tomorrow late morning I would try to clean her face a bit. Use a piece of old rag that doesn't have lint on it like a terry towel. Dip the cloth in warm water and gently hold it on the side of her face to soften up the blood. See if you can remove the blood but not the scab. A q-tip might be helpful also.

Her back end wounds can wait. Keep flies away from her and no matter what get fluids into her. Diluted gatorade would be perfect. Dehydration and shock are the enemies now.

This happened to one of my chickens. It's not pleasant. I'll be thinking about both of you tonight.

Back
Top Bottom