Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I have 3 hens and a roo right now. I am almost thinking of setting up a color pen. Do you guys think it is worth it? I can't show them for APA. I originally bought them b/c they were well.... pretty. I was going to let them just wander. What do you think?

Quote:
As long as you don't have any other dark layers, you can keep them with other breeds and when you want to hatch, only hatch the dark ones. Assuming you don't have any other roosters either.

Quote:
The one chick my daughter is holding tightly with grey chest looks like its a Roo. So its looking like I have 3 roo's & 1 hen at 4wks. Anyone wanting a Roo or 2? Local pick up. I can't have any. This grey chest was very black down the back & is feathering out shiny greenish black, very pretty. Wish I could keep him but not happening on this small lot.

Shannon

The grey chest is side body.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65421_dsc01341.jpg

I hate to say this, but all 3 of those look like boys.
hide.gif

Here's some more of my chicks. Guessing I still have 3 roos & a hen. Can you see any show prospects yet?

Here's all 4, possible hen is laying down in back. Doesn't have much crown or woddles.
65421_dsc01343.jpg

This is the darkest possbile roo with grey chest.
65421_dsc01344.jpg

1 of the possible roos with white chest.
65421_dsc01345.jpg

Hen's back side, she's one that doesn't hold still for pictures well.
65421_dsc01348.jpg

Shannon

Yeah, and I love to see their pretty legs!! Some of my girls (8-weeks) are starting to show the double lacing a bit. I finally realized that the two different color patterns I was seeing (i.e. tan lacing v. darker brown w/ hints of maroon) were simply girls v. boys. Doh! The girls show the lacing earlier. The boys show the green sheen earlier.

Sorry I haven't been here in awhile. I've just been busy. Everyone's chicks from this spring are growing up so fast and boy does time fly:) Kelly, yours are looking good. I like the cockerel you picked as your favorite
love.gif

My two Blue F1 broodies have finally lost intrest in their chicks this week. They raised all 30 chicks while free ranging during the day and were very good protective mothers. They just both decided it was time to go back to the big coop and started laying eggs again this week. I also just sold off 14 of the 30 chicks as "culls" and now have the best 16 left to raise up some more. The cockerels are looking really nice:)

Here's some updated pics I took today of my best blue pullet. She didn't want to stand still for a photo and I had to pen her in the brooder to take pictures. LOL, she wasn't happy with me. She's still moulting into her big girl feathers and is missing some of her tail feathers. But, she is double laced
celebrate.gif
and has nice dark hackles without brassy gold.

Trisha

30473_blue_pullet_double_laced.jpg

30473_blue_pullet_double_laced2.jpg

30473_close_up_blue_double_lacing.jpg

I love seeing all the pics from everyone. I too was admiring the iridescence in my 13 week old little rooster the other day and thought I would share a few pics. Always hard to get them to stand still so sorry for the not so great pictures. This is my first group of barnevelders and I am really loving them. Is he looking like he is supposed too?

84747_rooster2.jpg

84747_rooster3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom