Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hi Cathy, Those look great! What do your new coops look like inside. I'm very curious to see how others manage their flocks. Aya

This is for the Barred Plymouth Rock

This is the Golden Laced wyandotte

This is the Black Australorp babies

We will add nest boxes and roost in a few monthslike the next photo.

Hope this helps
jumpy.gif

Cathy

I would love to take all the credit for the building of these chicken coops but my wonderful husband built them, I only supervised and designed the layout.. I did pain it though!!
1f609.png

Thanks for the hints, all....
I guess I'm on the right track. We built a chicken tractor, but it's too heavy for me to move. I have to get help. We keep the pure Johan Roo and hen in there. They say Barnvelders don't mind confinement, but these two just go back and forth beside the cage side. The other Johan Roo is in a pen with your two hens, Trisha. I wish I had more but the fox got them all!! So I'm looking for eggs. But someone said I should wait until Spring as the eggs would be more fertile then. Is that correct? Thanks again for all your help.
Aya

I added on to my 2 level brooder and made it a 3 level brooder. I did most of the bottom half by myself, but DH is going to redo the bottom door ( I didn't cut it straight lol). The bottom level is going to make it much easier to manage a broody hen with chicks.

Some pics of one of my best blue pullets (overall) for this year. Can't wait to see if her egg color is decent.

Another blue pullet, with not as good lacing, but still pretty good at this point.

fl.gif
I get some eggs from these girls soon:)
Love the brooder and love the hen.
droolin.gif

Thanks Trisha

I have one pullet that has double lacing, it's not great and she does not have as good type. The girl in the picture has a nice full tail and great back curve when she is strutting, I can't seem to get her to do it when I am camera in hand and lighting is good. I plan to breed her with my best Barnie Rooster this winter. I am still waiting to see how this years Barnie cockerels will come out. Luckily I kept a lot for growing and from the 10 or 12 double laced cockerels that I started with I am waiting on the best to show themselves, I usually wait until they are around 7 months before make my final cuts. I had to replace my Johan rooster that I lost so hopefully I will get some good choices and choose wisely.

I also am growing four blue project boys. Too scraggly for pictures right now.

Hopefully your heat wave broke.

We are enjoying a beautiful fall with clear 70 degree days and cool 50 degree nights. Birds are happy.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom