Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Quote: Yeah, not that I need that many chicks. With my last 2 hatches, I have more babies than I do adults. But I would stick more eggs under a broody.
lau.gif
(wouldn't want them to not be mommies) And she's HUGE. I have 2 English Orps and my youngest son calls them "The Fat Girls". I could probably easily fit 2 dozen eggs under her.

Wow! So my broody girl broke overnight when I moved her sisters out of her pen. Wow that was just to easy. Of course her first time, so will see what happens next time.

Hi there,

I have 1 Barnevelder chick who is 9.5 weeks old. I hope it's ok for me to post here, but I thought I'd ask the experts: is Neil Patrick Harris a roo?

Really 9.5 weeks? Seems my girls had more tail feathers at that point and roos had the same amount of tail feathers as this chick, but a MUCH bigger comb. The lacing in the chest leads me to lean more towards Pullet. Nice yellow legs!

9.5 weeks? I think it's a Nelly Patricia, you should see more comb if it is a roo by now. There is no mistaking mine when they hit about 6 weeks as to what was what and who was who.
She is VERY dark, where is she from?
Thanks for your input!
She's just from a local breeder, but I'm in Aus. I don't mind if she's too dark, she's just for my backyard flock :)

Really 9.5 weeks? Seems my girls had more tail feathers at that point and roos had the same amount of tail feathers as this chick, but a MUCH bigger comb. The lacing in the chest leads me to lean more towards Pullet. Nice yellow legs!
Thanks for your opinion! Definite on age as I collected them as day old's straight out of the 'bator.
The feathering had me wondering but I'm in Aus and it's the start of Autumn here and all our other ladies are molting, so I thought that might have something to do with it?

This is the chick in question as a day old (back on the right in the one pic):

And at around a week:

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion! Definite on age as I collected them as day old's straight out of the 'bator. The feathering had me wondering but I'm in Aus and it's the start of Autumn here and all our other ladies are molting, so I thought that might have something to do with it?
I say girl too. A boy would of had wattles and a comb by now. My boys even try crowing by 4 weeks, LOL. Trisha

Thanks for your opinion! Definite on age as I collected them as day old's straight out of the 'bator. The feathering had me wondering but I'm in Aus and it's the start of Autumn here and all our other ladies are molting, so I thought that might have something to do with it?
I say girl too. A boy would of had wattles and a comb by now. My boys even try crowing by 4 weeks, LOL. Trisha

I had a couple of hatchery birds that were dark (gave them to a friend) and they are VERY pretty now as adults. Still dark but absolute beauties. I think that you will be very happy with her, LolaBlue

Hi there,

I have 1 Barnevelder chick who is 9.5 weeks old. I hope it's ok for me to post here, but I thought I'd ask the experts: is Neil Patrick Harris a roo?

I love the name! I am new to Barnevelders, but in other straight-combed breeds, my roos have had much more developed combs at this age. I think NPH might be a girl. I like the dark color though. I hope you post photos when he or she is full grown. It's so neat to see photos of this breed from around the world.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom