Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I ordered my very first chickens from Ideal and they arrived very healthy and grew into nice enough chickens (dorkings) I still have two of them (only ordered 7, gave 3 away, lost 2 due to no fault of theirs.) and they are my favorite girls for personality. and the fact that you can get them vaccinated for Mareks is a really great option for a backyard owner.

Last edited:
I am wondering how many Barnevelder breeders are really out there in the US? I don't mean hatchery birds (though some of them can be good looking birds) but I mean real breeders, dedicated to bettering the breed? How rare are Barnevelders? I have a trio of pure Barnevelders that I plan on breeding next year (doubt they will start laying in the winter since they are now just 4 months old) and I would like to see this breed grow. This page was once a busy spot but it seems to have grown very quiet over the last couple of months. How hard would it be for me to get more good quality birds?

Thanks,

DD

I am wondering how many Barnevelder breeders are really out there in the US?  I don't mean hatchery birds (though some of them can be good looking birds) but I mean real breeders, dedicated to bettering the breed?  How rare are Barnevelders?  I have a trio of pure Barnevelders that I plan on breeding next year (doubt they will start laying in the winter since they are now just 4 months old) and I would like to see this breed grow.  This page was once a busy spot but it seems to have grown very quiet over the last couple of months.  How hard would it be for me to get more good quality birds?

Thanks,

DD

I have true non hatchery barnies. I do plan to breed them next year. As far as how hard it is to get quality non hatchery birds, I guess it depends on what you're willing to do to get them. I think "most" breeders are willing to ship eggs and maybe you could get lucky and have chick's shipped. I consider myself lucky. I'm only 15 minutes from Donna at Fossil Rock. She's been helping me along since June. I now have 10 13wk olds and 1 Johan roo that's about 17wks I believe.
When I finally decided to get barnies, this was a pretty busy thread. It seems that after the big discussion here about blue barnies, this thread kinda died. Thread or no thread I plan on continuing what I started and possibly add some blues to the mix next spring if I can.
Good luck and don't give up on them.

Chris

I also have donnas birds!!! They were born 5/19/13!!! I put 2 in our fair the pullet one best female she is 4 1/2 months old. The roo the judge liked but needs feathering out and filling out!! Pm me!!!! Donna has good true stock!!! There are others too!!! In holland its the year of the Barnevelder maybe in new england too expect to see me with my birds at little rhody,
Boston and big show in springfield in jan!!!

I am wondering how many Barnevelder breeders are really out there in the US? I don't mean hatchery birds (though some of them can be good looking birds) but I mean real breeders, dedicated to bettering the breed? How rare are Barnevelders? I have a trio of pure Barnevelders that I plan on breeding next year (doubt they will start laying in the winter since they are now just 4 months old) and I would like to see this breed grow. This page was once a busy spot but it seems to have grown very quiet over the last couple of months. How hard would it be for me to get more good quality birds?

Thanks,

DD

They are still pretty rare.

I am working with them. I know a handful of other breeders that are also working with them.

Last edited:
So as it turns out I now have space for a barnie roo I was thinkin a blue laced but I have a normal double laced hen will this produce falty chicks at all according to the breeders it will be fine as they do this cross for some variety but I am not sure

Well, yesterday was the last day of Summer and it went out with a bang. We had huge thunderstorms and the first real rain in a long time.

One of my top pic cockerels of this year's offspring. This guy was dropping juvie wing feathers as I was taking pics of him. I like his top line so far and he looks like he will have good pattern.

My second favorite. He's huge. He really didn't want his pic taken let alone to be caged. These are not the best pictures of him. He kept sitting down and I had to keep poking him to get him to stand up. His wing set is normally tighter and is also moulting his wing feathers.. He is very wide in the back.

Trisha
Edited to add: Here is a link to a good source of info regarding breeding barnevelders. It is not in English though. http://www.sv-barnevelder.de/pdf/B Beugelsdijk Genetik des Doppelsaumes (2).pdf

Last edited:
Hi Trisha
frow.gif
Any new pics of your splash girls?

Last edited:
Hi All. I have been lurking here for a little while learning about Barnevelders. Great breed as Inam looking for big dual purpose heritage birds and I am hopeful to get some stock in the spring. Will likely have to make a trip to get them so am wondering if there is anyone else from Canada or northern Washington state in this thread raising Barnies?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom