Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

This is one of my stunning Barnies from Trisha. She is sweet and follows me around. Her name is Kate Middlehen. :) Thank you Trisha for the time that you have invested in making this breed so exquisite!

Hey all, slightly OT...but I need a quick answer...I have the chance to pick up some silver pencilled rocks for a silver laced project. The nearest birds are three hours away and it just so happens that my husband is heading up for work tomorrow; so I can grab them. I need to know if that's my best bet to get the silver into the line. I need to know. Up here it's so hard to find anything :( when you see it, you grab it!

Ps Kate Middlehen...lol awesome! She's a lovely gal.

Last edited:
Hey all, slightly OT...but I need a quick answer...I have the chance to pick up some silver pencilled rocks for a silver laced project. The nearest birds are three hours away and it just so happens that my husband is heading up for work tomorrow; so I can grab them. I need to know if that's my best bet to get the silver into the line. I need to know. Up here it's so hard to find anything :( when you see it, you grab it!

Donna (sherpagirl) has been working with silvers. You could send her a message and get her thoughts.

I would like to show my Barnevelders in an upcoming show next month. I was told that they need to be tested by a state Vet (by someone who showed her birds in another state). How do I find out who to call...and what else do I need to know about showing? I need leg bands...I don't have any...does the vet put them on? Do I buy them somewhere? The entry form has to be in by November 6th so I'm in a bit of a time crunch...

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

DD

Does your state participate in the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP)
In Georgia you call the department of agriculture. They set up a time and for $35 they test for diseases and the bird gets a legband. After the show, keep your bird separate from the rest of your flock. Just because all birds need health certificate does not mean all the people walking through touching everything have healthy flocks at home. Even the stress of being separated from her flock and traveling then being cramped into those cages surrounded by strange chickens can stress her out and give her a "cold" it's called shipping fever caused by stress. I would purchase oxide from revivalanimal.com no activator. A few drops in a quart of water is a good preventative. If she gets the sniffles, put 7.5 oz in a gallon of water in a vaporizer. Place vaporizer below her cage overnight. Should clear up a common cold quickly.

Yes, Washington State is in the NPIP and I just got a message from the state vet (I wasn't home when he called, grrr..) and he said that the birds have to be tested 30 days before the fair. I don't know if that applies to all shows or not. If it applies to the show I wanted to take my birds to I'm dead in the water as I only have three weeks until the show now! :( I hate being so ignorant about all this when I am just getting started but I guess that's how everyone starts out, right? :rolleyes:

DD

Hey all, slightly OT...but I need a quick answer...I have the chance to pick up some silver pencilled rocks for a silver laced project. The nearest birds are three hours away and it just so happens that my husband is heading up for work tomorrow; so I can grab them. I need to know if that's my best bet to get the silver into the line. I need to know. Up here it's so hard to find anything
sad.png
when you see it, you grab it!

I just saw your post today, I hope you got your SPRs, it will work! After three years I have one that looks promising!

Back
Top Bottom