Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I am looking...is he still available? I live in Carnation and want to get some splash and blues.

Yes! I still have him and a blue cockerel and one blue hen available. The pretty splash boy got in a fight with the blue and ended up getting his comb all bloodied up so he looks a bit of a mess now. I don't know why they decided to start squabbling...they've been fine together before. Well, anyway, I locked him up by himself so he can chill and stop the fighting, lol. PM me if you are still interested in him!

DD

Well, GRRR!

I have one Barnie pullet who insisted on setting, even though it's the middle of winter. I finally gave her half a dozen eggs (marked them so I know what she started with) and left her to set. She lost a couple along the way (egg explosions, yuck!) and then yesterday she got off the eggs completely. I figured that was that but today she got back on the nest...I hadn't removed her eggs yet. Well, I checked on her tonight and she had cracked another egg...but this one had a dead, partially developed chick inside! SOOO...I know that my cockerel IS fertile (that's good) and that my pullet is not that reliable...oh well. Sad to have lost the chick but I wasn't really expecting to get any from this first attempt.

DD

I thought these chicks were going to be black but now they are fading. They look faded black, not blue. The heads are still very black. Does this usually happen? These are my first Barnevelders.

I thought these chicks were going to be black but now they are fading. They look faded black, not blue. The heads are still very black. Does this usually happen? These are my first Barnevelders.
They look blue to me. Blues can vary from light to dark. Sometimes a few can appear so dark that they look black at first. Their color and pattern will change a lot once they get their adult feathers. Trisha

You guys motivated me to post pictures of my boys. The above photos are all taken of my Cock. The photo below is the one I may use this generation.
Your cockerel looks good. Shorter back, tight wings and better comb than the cock. I can't see his color/ pattern very well, but the cock looks pretty good. The color could be a bit richer red but still is good. I didn't keep a blue male this year. Culled very hard for just about every trait. I only have 8 blue hens and pullets left ( the best ), but set more eggs today:) Sorry I haven't replied to everyone's posts. The flu is going through my family and I have been fighting it off ( loosing the battle). DH has it the worst. Trisha

Last edited:
Your cockerel looks good. Shorter back, tight wings and better comb than the cock. I can't see his color/ pattern very well, but the cock looks pretty good. The color could be a bit richer red but still is good. I didn't keep a blue male this year. Culled very hard for just about every trait. I only have 8 blue hens and pullets left ( the best ), but set more eggs today:)

Sorry I haven't replied to everyone's posts. The flu is going through my family and I have been fighting it off ( loosing the battle). DH has it the worst.

Trisha
Hi Trisha,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking your time to critique my birds.

Hi BYC folk, I'm new to just about everything, so appreciate your patience. I bought 2 Barnevelder 3-day old chickens mid-September 2013. Now they're 4 months old, and are coloured remarkably like the two cockerels in this original post. They don't have the distinct lace pattern I was expecting,but a wonderful mixture of green-almost-black feathers, and predominantly black colouring. Also, I cannot decide whether each is hen or cockerel. I've read BV are slow to mature, so perhaps 16+ weeks is too early. If I post some pics, could you advise the (likely) gender? Thanks from BarnyBabe (BB)

Hi BYC folk, I'm new to just about everything, so appreciate your patience. I bought 2 Barnevelder 3-day old chickens mid-September 2013. Now they're 4 months old, and are coloured remarkably like the two cockerels in this original post. They don't have the distinct lace pattern I was expecting,but a wonderful mixture of green-almost-black feathers, and predominantly black colouring. Also, I cannot decide whether each is hen or cockerel. I've read BV are slow to mature, so perhaps 16+ weeks is too early. If I post some pics, could you advise the (likely) gender?  Thanks from BarnyBabe (BB)

Go ahead. By this point, they should be easy to sex.

Back
Top Bottom