Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I'm working on getting some good photos of the birds I would like to use this year - some are still young, but i see atleast 6 pullets and 6 cockerals from last years breeding I will consider - doesn't sound like a lot even though I hatched many, and I'm pleased with the 6 of each - a few more to grow out yet.  A lot to work on, but also a lot of progress.  And I have been keeping good records, mind you this year was easy.  I probably won't get pictures until I am moved to the new farm in January.  

In the mean time the local racoons and I are having words (I'm too close to neighbors to utilize the Winchester option) - my pens are all raccoon resistant - they can't get in, and the birds are very safe at night, but the coons can still grab through the mesh with their raccoon hands and they have grabbed two and eaten them through the fence.  And then I had a helper leave open a gate open a few weeks ago - a wee bit disastrous, I've lost 17 birds in the past month.  The new farm will have an electrified perimeter netting around the poultry area (with battery back up), so no more coons I hope.  I want to get moved before I lose any more.

After Piet posting pics of his amazing pullet, it is a bit daunting thinking of posting photos of my birds...but I will work on getting some.   

So sorry to hear the coons have been nasty with your birds! But great news on the new farm! Hub and I would love to come visit you in the new year once you are settled, Therese.

So sorry to hear the coons have been nasty with your birds! But great news on the new farm! Hub and I would love to come visit you in the new year once you are settled, Therese.
Yes, it's been a rough year - I've put a lot of work into keeping raccoons out but they are smart - I have a "gang" of 4 that know to avoid the trap, go too high in the tree to shoot with the pellet gun, and I can't use a "real" gun here. I suspect these ones were someone else problem that were released to this end of the island. They have apparently figured out a system to scare the birds from the houses - the last one they got I was off the ferry about 20 minutes after dark, that was all they needed - the carcass was still warm. Once the bird is out of the house and goes near the edge of the fence, it's dinner. They grab on and tear it to shreds through the fence. All that's left is the carcass inside the run and a pile of feathers. Evil creatures.

And yes, once I'm settled (if I ever get moved!!!!) you are more than welcome to come for a visit. I can even pick you up at the ferry if you like.

I managed to get some good pictures of some of my pullets. (almost 9 months old)

This pullet was relaxed here, so her tail is not as high as usual:

Enjoying the weather:

Yes, it's been a rough year - I've put a lot of work into keeping raccoons out but they are smart - I have a "gang" of 4 that know to avoid the trap, go too high in the tree to shoot with the pellet gun, and I can't use a "real" gun here. I suspect these ones were someone else problem that were released to this end of the island. They have apparently figured out a system to scare the birds from the houses - the last one they got I was off the ferry about 20 minutes after dark, that was all they needed - the carcass was still warm. Once the bird is out of the house and goes near the edge of the fence, it's dinner. They grab on and tear it to shreds through the fence. All that's left is the carcass inside the run and a pile of feathers. Evil creatures.

And yes, once I'm settled (if I ever get moved!!!!) you are more than welcome to come for a visit. I can even pick you up at the ferry if you like.

I have an idea for you, not very expensive, nor is it a ton of work, but pretty effective against the kind of coon trouble you are having. Get an electric fence charger...the biggest one you are willing to spend money on, but, really, it doesn't need to be that big. Then put electric tape or wire around the perimeter of your coop. Put it low to the ground and then again about 10" high. If they are climbing the fencing you can put another strand about 2 ft up. Attach the ground to the poultry netting. That is assuming that the netting is wire, not plastic, of course. When the coon touches the electrified tape and then the coop you will hear an odd sound, kind of a yelling howling sound. They HATE to be electrified. I was having coon troubles but they are over now that I have electric fence around the coop. It is much cheaper and easier to install than electric netting (I've had that in the past but don't use it currently) and goes up in a day. I use the insulators that stand off from the post a bit, that way the coon can't ground out the fence by pressing it up against the coop wire. I know you are moving soon but this could be a quick stop-gap to keep you from losing any more. Hope that helps!

DD

I have an idea for you, not very expensive, nor is it a ton of work, but pretty effective against the kind of coon trouble you are having. Get an electric fence charger...the biggest one you are willing to spend money on, but, really, it doesn't need to be that big. Then put electric tape or wire around the perimeter of your coop. Put it low to the ground and then again about 10" high. If they are climbing the fencing you can put another strand about 2 ft up. Attach the ground to the poultry netting. That is assuming that the netting is wire, not plastic, of course. When the coon touches the electrified tape and then the coop you will hear an odd sound, kind of a yelling howling sound. They HATE to be electrified. I was having coon troubles but they are over now that I have electric fence around the coop. It is much cheaper and easier to install than electric netting (I've had that in the past but don't use it currently) and goes up in a day. I use the insulators that stand off from the post a bit, that way the coon can't ground out the fence by pressing it up against the coop wire. I know you are moving soon but this could be a quick stop-gap to keep you from losing any more. Hope that helps!

DD
We are thinking along the same lines. My pigs and sheep live at the new farm already, and I just purchased an electric fencing system, and enough electric poultry netting to completely enclose my poultry area. I went with netting as it also may help to deter the number one chicken predator here - mink, which I have not encountered yet, but here will wipe out an entire house of chickens in a night. I have read a number of posts that the electric will deter them, and if they do touch the wire, they get mad and bite it, and then it's game over. The entire property is also going to be electrified at the bottom and at the top with a single wire. So double zap to get to the chickens area. And I purchased enough berry cover to completely cover the chicken area - so hopefully I will have no more losses to ground predators and none aerial predators. The pigs are already charged up, and the sheep will be tomorrow - and it's an easy link to add the chickens area. The system has a battery back up, so even when the power's out, the power is on at the fence. The charger is more than adequate for all the line and netting. I'm three weeks away from moving the chickens there...though I may try to move them early if I can get them all moved in a day. I'm going over tomorrow to get the remaining pig/sheep area set up, and then onto the chicken area. Once they are all closed in, they are good - it's just that little bit of time from dusk to dark, and sometimes I am working and can't get home in time. Once they are protected by electric, my worries are going to be greatly reduced. $1500 for a complete system for the property, and it will be piece of mind.

At what age should I be able to tell if my Barnevelders are male or female? They are 6 weeks and look the same.

You should be able to tell by now. Do you have pictures of them? Pullets will have smaller combs and you will see the lacing on their chests. Cockerels will have larger combs, legs and look thicker.

Back
Top Bottom