Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Where are you in northern California?  I am from Sant Rosa and can't to get back to northern California.  I wish the housing market would improve enough from me to sell my house.
the homes here in Santa Rosa are getting back to the prices they were before the real estate crash. It is pretty crazy.

Walt

the homes here in Santa Rosa are getting back to the prices they were before the real estate crash. It is pretty crazy.

Walt
Tell me about "crazy" ... Half my retirement goes to pay the real estate taxes (property goes down to the beach, where the house is also located, and then there is about 6 acres up the slope for the orchards, gardens, and pastures/woods. Then 25 % or so for feed/power, and the rest for poor me... But it's better than CA, according to what I have heard. Stay warm, y'all; it's gelid here

Tell me about "crazy" ... Half my retirement goes to pay the real estate taxes (property goes down to the beach, where the house is also located, and then there is about 6 acres up the slope for the orchards, gardens, and pastures/woods. Then 25 % or so for feed/power, and the rest for poor me... But it's better than CA, according to what I have heard. Stay warm, y'all; it's gelid here
I'd live on 25% to be on the beach and have all of that room for chickens. Need a live in house keeper?
big_smile.png

Hi mrandmrschicken! Any news on the copies? Donna

They are here but have been busy helping set up a club for the Iowa Blue iowabluechickenclub.com take a look when you get a chance. It is a previous commitment I am involved in. I can mail one to you if someone can make copies and send them on. They are glossies and we have no place here in the frozen North to make copies. 1F here today, woo hoo! please pm me a name and address.
Eric

Theresa,

,Have you posted pictures of these birds? You have to use what you have or in the words of the old timer breeder Ralph Sturgeon...Start where you are with what you have.

You need a plan and you need good record keeping. IMO you only need two breeding pens unless you want more birds out, but use the same linebreeding. Father to daughter and mother to son. You can do this forever if you cull hard and keep good records. They can be brought together to add vigor. I'm not big on bringing other things into a breeding "to increase vigor".  This kind of line breeding can result in birds that look very much alike after a bit....so you want them to look good. Read all you can about how to do this. Try to find someone to guide you. If they don't advocate good record keeping, find someone else.

Walt
the best advice I have seen given here yet. It is absolutely essential if you want to keep producing good honest stock. Piet

I'm working on getting some good photos of the birds I would like to use this year - some are still young, but i see atleast 6 pullets and 6 cockerals from last years breeding I will consider - doesn't sound like a lot even though I hatched many, and I'm pleased with the 6 of each - a few more to grow out yet. A lot to work on, but also a lot of progress. And I have been keeping good records, mind you this year was easy. I probably won't get pictures until I am moved to the new farm in January.

In the mean time the local racoons and I are having words (I'm too close to neighbors to utilize the Winchester option) - my pens are all raccoon resistant - they can't get in, and the birds are very safe at night, but the coons can still grab through the mesh with their raccoon hands and they have grabbed two and eaten them through the fence. And then I had a helper leave open a gate open a few weeks ago - a wee bit disastrous, I've lost 17 birds in the past month. The new farm will have an electrified perimeter netting around the poultry area (with battery back up), so no more coons I hope. I want to get moved before I lose any more.

After Piet posting pics of his amazing pullet, it is a bit daunting thinking of posting photos of my birds...but I will work on getting some.

Back
Top Bottom