Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

The bedding is pine bedding pellets that they sell in bags at the feed store. I like it a lot because it's very absorbant and the pellets are big enough that the tiny ones don't even try to eat it. The pellet break down as they get wet but by then the babies are big enough that they seem to leave the bedding alone. This is the first time I've used it inside with day olds...I usually put it in the brooder that is in the hay barn they they go to when they are close to two weeks old.

DD
Thanks, I'm going to see if my store has it, it sure would be less dusty than shavings for inside the house :)

I would love a couple roos but I don't think my husband will let me get any more.
First we went to get 10 and came home with 12, then we went back and got 8 more, then we got two guineas, then we went to get 4 more babies and left with 8 :p
I don't think he'll let me have anymore.

I told my husband about the roos and his response was, "i know the question's coming...do we need to get some?" lol
But he also started talking about how we have too many as it is and how we might just end up eating them if the neighbors complain about the noise and that kind of thing. So I really don't know where he stands. How would they do in shipping? I know the new hatchlings have their yolks to sustain them on the trip but would these guys make it without food and water?

I told my husband about the roos and his response was, "i know the question's coming...do we need to get some?" lol
But he also started talking about how we have too many as it is and how we might just end up eating them if the neighbors complain about the noise and that kind of thing. So I really don't know where he stands. How would they do in shipping? I know the new hatchlings have their yolks to sustain them on the trip but would these guys make it without food and water?

Adult birds are typically shipped next day air, so they aren't going very long without food and water. However, they can be shipped with a piece of fruit to help sustain them.

Just keep in mind that shipping adult birds can be quite expensive. It typically starts at $100 if shipping from out of state.

Yeowch...that's a bit more pricey than I could do.

Yeah, I knew it was expensive, but I was surprised just how much. A lot of states require permits and/or health certificates to ship in adult birds. Plus the cost of the special box and shipping next day air. It adds up. You can try to find a breeder near you or go to a show to see if you can find a rooster.

I have 2 barnevelder pullets that are 4 1/2 weeks old . Both have double lacing but one cone is now pink and has a black beetle green sheen to his feathering and not as much dbl lacing as the other... Might I have a roo instead? The other has no color to her comb at all and no black/ green sheen.

Do you have any pictures of the chicks? It's possible you have a little cockerel as they do get a comb faster than the female. Also the female will feather up faster on the shoulders than the male and will tend to have a longer tail at that age.

Pictures might help us be able to help you out...

:)

DD

Do you have any pictures of the chicks?  It's possible you have a little cockerel as they do get a comb faster than the female.  Also the female will feather up faster on the shoulders than the male and will tend to have a longer tail at that age. 

Pictures might help us be able to help you out...

:)

DD

I will try and get some good pics today and post them. Have a great day :)

Back
Top Bottom