Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I think there is a problem with the down color on all three of those chicks. The Wheaten is obvious to see, of course, when very young. The other two mask show a slight V pattern on the top of the head and again the line through the eye shows a definite e+ on the Yellow banded chick and the black banded chick. For the proper lacing as adults they should not show any of these patterns as chicks. That being said, I understand that in some countries (Australia for example) it is nearly impossible to get Barnevelder chicks that do not have Ewh or e+ patterning. In those places (where import restrictions make getting pure bloodlines nearly impossible) one should cull for those color traits in chicks to get closer to the Eb chick down pattern. I have hatched dozens and dozens of Barnevelder chicks and not once seen either of those patterns in my day olds. When I mentioned being able to sex them at day old from the down I meant lines like what I have, not those influenced by Ewh or e+ genetics.

Hope that helps,

DD
I agree,

the e+ or eb/e+ pullets can be seen in the USA too(as eb/e+ or e+/e+ males should look identical to eb/eb males when adults, so one sees more e+/eb or e+/e+ females)

I agree,

the e+ or eb/e+ pullets can be seen in the USA too(as eb/e+ or e+/e+ males should look identical to eb/eb males when adults, so one sees more e+/eb or e+/e+ females)

Good point, I think it's important for those who love the Barnevelder to know how to spot these flaws in the chick down so that they can weed out these flaws quite young.

DD

Good point, I think it's important for those who love the Barnevelder to know how to spot these flaws in the chick down so that they can weed out these flaws quite young.

DD
thats correct, proper eb chicks should be allowed to breed and e+/eb or e+/e+ chicks should not be allowed to breed, and its very Common to see eb/eb and eb/e+ or e+/e+ hatch mates, and people are not aware of this,

for example, below pullets started out as hatch mates sisters

here from same link above https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/from-chicks-to-pullets-to-hens

Penny and Lacy, Lacy shows a Redish Salmon Breast at 9 weeks of age

now Penny and Lacy at 18 weeks of age

Last edited:
I agree, I have seen them and their tale tale salmon breasts, but eb/eWh or eb/e+ or e+/eWh barnies will be tricky to spot as adults..

and I was referring to chick Sexing..
you can tell e+ splits too. and Wheaton's effect can be seen, it is more subtle but nonetheless apparent once you have your eye in.

Quote:
I didnt say you could not spot eb/eWh or ewh/ewh chicks, which you can clearly, I was saying about the whole, "You can Sex Barnevelder" using chick down by itself, my answer to that was,> with so many different variations on chick down how could anybody sex them at hatch ? so my question still valid, not that you cant not tell the visual difference between heterozygotes or pure eWh or e+ chicks

Quote:
its subtle but these chick do show some e+ in them, look at the faint v shape head patter and faint eye liner... I know some pure eb can look similar but I think they may have some e+ in them

Another picture of the wing pattern of a 12 week old blue cockerel.
interesting pics Trisha. thanks for sharing them question, do you see the green sheen often in your blues? I have ever seen it at all (often I use the absence of it as a good indicator that a juv is blue - in those hard to tell ones at that 12-14week old age bracket) also do you have any close up pics of your adult, proven males wings, outstretched as above, and from underneath the wing??
I do see green sheen especially in my darker blue males. The cockerel pictured is the darkest of 3 blues males that I kept from my first hatch this year. I culled all my blue males last year because I ended up with two " standard" Barnevelder males that were superior. One of the males I kept looks to be producing pretty good offspring over all. The oldest offspring are only 12 weeks-old, but I like what I see so far. I will take some pictures of his wings for you. I sprained my ankle really bad yesterday:( I am not sure I can get down to the coop today. Trisha

Back
Top Bottom