Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I haven't been on here very much lately. I'm so behind in responding to Pm's ...sorry if I've not gotten back to everyone. :oops:

Due to the heat, I am done shipping eggs until fall and I put away my incubator too. I have lots of young stock growing out. My last large group hatched in the incubator of around 38+ chicks looks like there are quite a few " keepers" in the bunch. They are 6 weeks old and about ready to move to the coop. They ate a 1/2 flat of dianthus flowers I was going to plant yesterday. :barnie So, now that the little trouble makers are getting destructive to my yard, I need to move them down to the coop. I'm being really picky this year again about which birds I'm keeping. I kept only 3 pullets out of my first hatch of 63 in February ( I did sell about 15 as chicks to a lady). I also kept one blue cockerel out of the first hatch.

I have one broody who just hatched out 9/12 eggs this week. ( 2 clear/ early quitters and one hatched but got squished...sadly a pullet) Looks like 3 pullets, 6 cockerels for my last hatch until fall.

One pullet that hatched in early February started laying this week:) She's probably not going to be show quality ( lacing is not really clean all over), but is a decent bird. I like that she has good egg production qualities and reached POL rather early compared to my original barnevelders. These are not the best pictures of her, but I don't have a working camera any more.

Trisha

I haven't been on here very much lately. I'm so behind in responding to Pm's ...sorry if I've not gotten back to everyone.
hide.gif

Due to the heat, I am done shipping eggs until fall and I put away my incubator too. I have lots of young stock growing out. My last large group hatched in the incubator of around 38+ chicks looks like there are quite a few " keepers" in the bunch. They are 6 weeks old and about ready to move to the coop. They ate a 1/2 flat of dianthus flowers I was going to plant yesterday.
barnie.gif
So, now that the little trouble makers are getting destructive to my yard, I need to move them down to the coop. I'm being really picky this year again about which birds I'm keeping. I kept only 3 pullets out of my first hatch of 63 in February ( I did sell about 15 as chicks to a lady). I also kept one blue cockerel out of the first hatch.

I have one broody who just hatched out 9/12 eggs this week. ( 2 clear/ early quitters and one hatched but got squished...sadly a pullet) Looks like 3 pullets, 6 cockerels for my last hatch until fall.

One pullet that hatched in early February started laying this week:) She's probably not going to be show quality ( lacing is not really clean all over), but is a decent bird. I like that she has good egg production qualities and reached POL rather early compared to my original barnevelders. These are not the best pictures of her, but I don't have a working camera any more.

Trisha

I think she looks good Trisha.

I have a bunch of juveniles and babies (broodies keep hatching for me) that are looking promising. The 9 week old pullets lacing so far looks like it will be great. I haven't had a really good look at the cockerels, they are still in the crazy you're going to kill me stage. I need to move them all into the main flock, so I can sit and get better looks at them. I will be culling hard this year and hope to have really nice ones.

I think she looks good Trisha.

I have a bunch of juveniles and babies (broodies keep hatching for me) that are looking promising.  The 9 week old pullets lacing so far looks like it will be great.  I haven't had a really good look at the cockerels, they are still in the crazy you're going to kill me stage.  I need to move them all into the main flock, so I can sit and get better looks at them.  I will be culling hard this year and hope to have really nice ones.

I have a bunch of good looking cockerels this year:) In this last group there is over a dozen that look good so far...all but one have good to acceptable combs so far ( the one just has too few and poorly spaced points). Good looking boys...nice patterns, wide heads and backs. Hard to tell them apart.

Trisha

Not the best, but one cockerel out of the bunch that held somewhat still enough for a picture. Sorry it's side ways...

I was looking at Greenfire's website and silver barnevelders (by their picture) looks like they are darker. But your chicks don't look like any of the other breeds either. So I don't know, have you contacted them and asked what they are?

All three of my oldest pullets hatched this spring are now laying. One started at just before 20 weeks, one at 24 weeks and one at 28 weeks.

One of my young cockerels from this year. About 15 weeks old. Still in that awkward and molting stage. But, he looks promising.

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom