Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I got two batches of eggs from a lady in Florida. She has eBay auctions every now and again. My first batch is about 4 weeks old and beautiful! Second batch is in the bator now.
I think I have seen her day old chicks auction on rarebreedauctions as well. Her flock looked good and I believe is from The Fancy Chick line.

I have some hens from her. Beautiful birds and she is wonderful to work with!

A couple of our almost month old barnies are starting to get bigger combs and reddening waddles, I'm assuming they're roosters, how old are they usually before one could expect to see that and at what age do you usually start hearing crowing, I have 2 I'm sure are roosters. They just can't be pullets at this point :-D I'm wondering if they're early maturers and I should keep watch for more or if I could probably just assume the rest are pullets? I'm not seeing any feathering differences that are clear enough to have used that to determine sex, all just feathering at different rates. I think I was right about them, definitely going to be favorites around here. One of them got loose today and tried to get in with the laying hens and then got in with the 8 week old birds and had a ball hopping around until I put it back in the brooder where it seemed bored. Thursday They're going in the cage the 8 weekers have now and they're going in a bigger cage till its warm enough to go out at the end of the week or so. These cuties still have a few weeks at least till they go in their section of the coop, hopefully its done by then lol, still have to run out and get some hinges for their door hatch lol. How old are your barnevelders usually when they begin laying?

I heard 9 months since it's a heritage breed but not sure. My barnie mixie pullets are growing combs at a month old but still fairly small. The roo in our batch started it's comb on the 2nd week it was bright red. But didn't get to raise my barnie so don't know I only have halfbreeds

I can easily tell males from females by the 7 week mark, and probably sooner (I don't remember for sure). You won't need to wait for crowing. The males have a different lacing pattern. More solid parts, and for the black ones, they look blacker than the females who are stripey all over.

rooster?
rooster?
possibly roosters?
maybe pullets?

1. Sorry about the hey are these cockerels/pullets ;)
2. Sorry about the potentially blury pictures - my iPhone gives me too many options and they're tiny
3. Guesses pretty much exclusively based on their combs and a couple feather things that make me think one way or another
4. Thanks for any feedback, its appreciated :)

rooster?
rooster?
possibly roosters?
maybe pullets?

1. Sorry about the hey are these cockerels/pullets
wink.png

2. Sorry about the potentially blury pictures - my iPhone gives me too many options and they're tiny
3. Guesses pretty much exclusively based on their combs and a couple feather things that make me think one way or another
4. Thanks for any feedback, its appreciated :)
The top three photos look like roosters and the lower ones I don't see any sign of rooster so looks like you got it right.

Andy

Basically, you are working with ground color and lacing color which are two different things. Ground color is silver or gold. Lacing is normally black which can be changed to blue, chocolate, or near white in splash. But , splash seems to interfere with the expression of the double laced pattern and you get near single lacing despite having the right pattern genes for double lacing.
I have noticed there is an interaction of blue with the expression of the red or mahogony in my line. The silver blues have much more red showing than the silvers do. In fact my silver blues are as red as my blue double laced in ground color except you can tell they are silvers because they have much more silver necks than the blue double laced. I would be interested if anyone can shed light on this interaction. I agree with Trisha in the blue gene breaking up the definition of the lacing. While it will take work to get the lacing sharp on the blues, it does make for some nice patterns in the birds.

Back
Top Bottom