Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

@BusyBearMama
I hatched out 22 Barnevelders six weeks ago today and by this point it is clear which are girls and which are roos. Look for the comb color even more than size - there will be an obvious difference between deep orange/pink/red combs for roosters and the ones that remain pale yellow for girls.

@BusyBearMama
I hatched out 22 Barnevelders six weeks ago today and by this point it is clear which are girls and which are roos. Look for the comb color even more than size - there will be an obvious difference between deep orange/pink/red combs for roosters and the ones that remain pale yellow for girls.
Thank you :) the ones I think are cockerels all have orange ish combs and red waddles starting and the others do not. I just want 2 roosters so I'm going to have to rehome two of them likely. I hate to split them up though. We haven't handled them too much but they still calm pretty well when they're held and they're the only chickens / chicks that I've not seen go after eachother, it doesn't seem to matter if a chick is one minute or five years old they'll peck each other on the head but these ones seem to be best buddies its really cool. I'm thinking they're going to be our favorites!

I have noticed there is an interaction of blue with the expression of the red or mahogony in my line. The silver blues have much more red showing than the silvers do. In fact my silver blues are as red as my blue double laced in ground color except you can tell they are silvers because they have much more silver necks than the blue double laced. I would be interested if anyone can shed light on this interaction. I agree with Trisha in the blue gene breaking up the definition of the lacing. While it will take work to get the lacing sharp on the blues, it does make for some nice patterns in the birds.
I take it that you have both standard laced silver and blue laced silver Barnies. Are they still projects or are you almost there. Do you mind sharing pictures?

I'm in new Mexico. The lady I bought our rooster from ordered from a hatchery but every last one was a rooster and most of them ended up being eaten
sad.png
I've been looking but we may very well have the only barnie in the state. And it would be hard even to find a mix especially one that wouldn't be related or avoid spending a small fortune on shipping them in. The only people breeding purebred birds seem to have shipped their stock in from out of state and even then none are barnevelders.
If you haven't found anyone, I ran into this auction on rarebreedauction that is ending tomorrow. There are no reviews/feedback of the quality so you may want to take a close look at the pics and ask an expert as well before buying.

http://www.rarebreedauctions.com/au...le-laced-barnevelder-chicks&auction_id=129044

this is Beau - he's 5 weeks now... And I was sure he was a he but the chest coloring is coming in looking like the pullets mostly
&
this is Luna - but her chest coloring looks like the other males... Is there any chance at 5 weeks this one with a big orange comb is a pullet and this combless one is a cockerel or am I right and should just chill about it and Beau will be a rooster and luna a hen and its all good... I ask because I won't want to be short a rooster and I pulled out two little cockerels to go to their new home next week

I posted last week too with other pictires and they've filled out even more, the others are all clear at this point for sure I just want to have a rooster come next spring I want chicks!!

I would say that you have a pair. The first looks like a cockerel to me because the comb is more developed.

Trisha.
Thank you for your response. The comb on the first is also quite orange but the light is funny in their barn - so you don't think I should worry about chest feather coloring too much? Does anyone have a link or their own photos of development week by week for each gender? or is that something I should make next year or something ;)

I would say that you have a pair. The first looks like a cockerel to me because the comb is more developed.

Trisha.
Thank you for your response. The comb on the first is also quite orange but the light is funny in their barn - so you don't think I should worry about chest feather coloring too much? Does anyone have a link or their own photos of development week by week for each gender? or is that something I should make next year or something ;)

When young both can look alike. Girls can have solid black breasts, boys can have slight lacing. It's juvinile pattern. In another week, you'll most likely know for sure as the boys really start showing male traits.

Trisha.

When young both can look alike. Girls can have solid black breasts, boys can have slight lacing. It's juvinile pattern. In another week, you'll most likely know for sure as the boys really start showing male traits.

About the same age as yours maybe a little older. You can see two cockerels and the rest are pullets.sorry not the best pic, but if you click on it you'll se a bigger pic.

Back
Top Bottom