Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me figure out what sex my lone Barnevelder is. I thought I had read somewhere that you can sex them at hatch, and that males will have a black chest, which mine did. But now I think it might be a pullet. "she" is 8 weeks old. There is pink on her comb, but does the lacing on the chest confirm it is a pullet?

Thanks for any feedback!

I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me figure out what sex my lone Barnevelder is. I thought I had read somewhere that you can sex them at hatch, and that males will have a black chest, which mine did. But now I think it might be a pullet. "she" is 8 weeks old. There is pink on her comb, but does the lacing on the chest confirm it is a pullet?

Thanks for any feedback!
Females have the dark chest
smile.png
and she looks all girl to me
celebrate.gif

I'm hoping someone on this thread can help me figure out what sex my lone Barnevelder is.   I thought I had read somewhere that you can sex them at hatch, and that males will have a black chest, which mine did.  But now I think it might be a pullet.  "she" is 8 weeks old.  There is pink on her comb, but does the lacing on the chest confirm it is a pullet?

Thanks for any feedback!

Females have the dark chest :) and she looks all girl to me :celebrate

Hooray! She came in a mixed batch of hatching eggs, and only one Barnevelder hatched, so I am thrilled if it is a girl.
Thanks!

Made a run to the Co-Op to load up on feed today. Purina has changed their 50 lb Layena to 40 lb bags and the price is the same! Wassup with that???? I'm calling Purina on Monday. Hope anyone else that's as unhappy with that as I am will make a call too!

God Bless,

Thanks for any feedback!
100% pullet.

Good Morning and happy Saturday! Reading the Barnevelder standard doesn't help me much in looking at a chicken and figuring out the quality. I guess I'm too visual. I was wondering if anyone would post a picture of a hatchery quality / pet quality Barnie side by side with a top of the line show quality Barnie and provide a bit of context around the features that make the SQ better? It would be great to have it for hens and roos. Anyone? Thanks! ~Shanna

It takes time to visually see what the SOP is referring to. First, remember there is no perfect bird.

I have pictures of my breeding stock, but I don't have hatchery barnevelders.

Keep an eye on the CSU thread. Several of us will be looking for the judges opinions on our birds. They are not to the Continental Class yet, but I'm learning a ton through the other breeds. I would highly recommend you reading the thread.

Back
Top Bottom