Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Thanks Al
There is some variability in the amount of red bleeding through so I hope I can select for cleaning silver over time.

I have some silver blues that are byproducts of these two projects as well and they have some really cool colors in the lacing, The ground color is not even it is sort of barred between the blue lacing sort of like the barring you see on turkeys, I will post some pics when I get around to it.

Do you have any updated photos of your silvers? I bet they are looking sharp.

One twist of my silver project is that I used a blue plymouth rock line to get silver and now that my rooster from that line is older I am noticing some brassiness in his hackle so I may have gotten some of that red tint from his line as well. If I had to do over I would use a very clean silver penciled rock line. I was originally trying to make blues and the silver came along for the ride so I made it a double project.

Andy

Lots to read here! Barnevleders are a breed of chicken I love! Hope I can breed some soon, and join in your discussions! Just reading for now.

Pullet or cockerel?

I have a beautiful 12-week old Barnevelder cockerel hatched from a Fossil Rock Farm egg. The Breeder says the markings on the egg indicated it was from pure Johan bloodlines. We aren't zoned for roosters, and I'm forced to part with this darling boy. He's absolutely as sweet as they come and beautiful. Anyone in the Colorado Springs area interested? Just want a good home for him. You can contact me through the add in the Colorado Springs Craigslist. ( I'd also be interested in trading/purchasing a nice Barnie pullet or young hen if anyone has some in this area.)

This thread seems dead, so here's a feeble attempt at re-kindling it.

It's coming into fall, I'm sure many are starting to begin the culling and selection process for next years keepers. How are your babies looking?

I'm pleasantly surprised with what I'm seeing. I was only able to hatch out 100 barnie babies this year, but I"m seeing nice pullets that are potential keepers and many very nice cockerals. I didn't expect to see this many nice ones, I thought there would be more variety in type as this was an outcross year - boy from one line, girls from another. So it'll be nice to have a good selection to pick from. Saw one girl yesterday and was thinking, "wow, where did you come from!!!". I ended up hatching what I thought was initially 90% boys, but that's come down - I tagged the first babies and the breast down was 100%, but the later hatches didn't have those same odds - THANK GOODNESS or I'd have a lot of boys. Still probably 70% boys, better than 90%. Have one more batch of eggs to hatch, and many young babies to watch as they grow. Yes, our winters are mild here, so I can have winter babies.

So looking forward to watching these babies continue to grow.

Back
Top Bottom